Search 74,211 tutors
FIND TUTORS
Ask a question
0 0

Can you find the regular price of the snowboard if the snowboard at the left is on sale for $12.74. The snowboard is on sale for 60% off?

Tutors, please sign in to answer this question.

5 Answers

There are many ways to answer this question.  When you are dealing with a tenth situation as in your question, I would ignore the percentage for the moment.  That leaves you with:  4X = $12.74.  You have $12.74/4 to get X = $3.185.  Now, you need to remember that equals 1 tenth of the answer.  (This is where the tenth factor is brought back in.)  $3.185*10 = $31.85. 

 

Now restate the problem without the comments.

     .4X = 4/10 * X

     4/10 * X = $12.74

     10(4/10 * X) = 10 * $12.74

     4X = $127.40

     X =  $127.40/4

     X = $31.85

There are many approaches to the problem. However, the following procedure is applicable

irrespective of the scenario.

Profit or Loss percentage = (Selling Price - Cost Price)/Cost Price * 100

From the question, we know that a loss was incurred in the transaction

In this case, Selling Price = $12.74, Cost Price = x, loss percentage = 60

The next step is to plug in the figures into the above equation.

60% or 0.6 = (12.74-x)/x

Since it was a loss, place a negative sign before 0.6.

-0.6 = (12.74 - x)/x

Next step, cross-multiply to get -0.6x = 12.74 - x

Next step, solve for x.

-0.6x + x = 12.74

0.4x =12.74

x = 31.85

Therefore, the original cost or regular price of the snowboard was $31.85

 

Since it's on sale for 60% off, what is left for you to pay is 40% of the regular price:

40% * regular price = 12.74

regular price = 12.74 / .4

regular price = $31.85

 

 

If 60% off makes the price $12.74, you know that $12.74 is the remaining 40% (100%-60% (off) =40%). Try rewording the question:

$12.74 is 40% of what?

I was taught:

is/of = %/100

in other words, using 'x' as the missing value:

12.74/x=40/100 (12.74 IS 40% OF X  or 12.74=IS, X=OF, %=40)

You then need to cross-multiply:

so multiply the bottom by the top:

40*x=12.74*100

40x=1274

then divide each side by 40 to isolate the 'x':

x=1274/40

x=$31.85

Check your work:

31.85-60%=12.74

31.85-(31.85*.6)=12.74

31.85-19.11=12.74

12.74=12.74