I have been teaching English
for 35 years so far. I started when I was very young and I still have the same passion for education and instruction. I hold a master's degree in the teaching of literature
in English. I also speak, read and write Spanish
. Having taught in public schools both in Venezuela and in America, and having taught people of different ages, 5 through 68, has prepared me to teach any individual who needs my help in any of the two languages that I know. I am a very patient woman who has learned with time and through studies that everybody cannot be taught the same. Individual differences are very important to me in order to adapt my class plans to my students needs.
I am available to teach considering your schedule and your availability. So please, contact me!
This is a summary of my experience:
- 23 years teaching at Simon Bolivar High School as an English as a foreign language
teacher in Caracas, Venezuela
- 15 years teaching at PDVSA, Venezuela’s oil industry.(Part while teaching in high-school)as an English instructor to their managers and employees. I owned the company that taught these students.
- I taught for 3 years in Prince William County Schools, Manassas, Virginia as an ESL
- I taught for 1 year at a D.C
. charter school as an ELL teacher. (English Language
- I taught Spanish for 2 years at different elementary schools in NOVA.
- I have been teaching for 1 year and a half at a private college preparing international ELL young adult students.
- I have taught private Spanish lessons to children and adults.
My method of teaching will be chosen depending on the type of learner I have. Using the theory of multiple intelligences I will choose hands on activities, visuals, educational instruments and those strategies that involve the use of implements that my student will benefit from. My goal is to keep the student interested to ensure that the learning can be a lasting one. I will use what is called total physical response. If my learner is a visual one, I will use realia to help her or him retain more knowledge, using magazines, newspaper images, flashcards, etc. If my learner is more of an auditory kind I will use what involves his sense of hearing to help him or her remember. It will all depend on whether it is vocabulary
, sentence structures, verb tenses, speaking, reading
, listening, and writing
. I will evaluate the needs of my student in order to adapt to his or her needs.