Ni hao (Hello),
I have a passion for the Chinese language
and for teaching about China - people, culture, food and of course language! With over 12 years' experience living and working in China, I might be a great fit to be your Mandarin
Some highlights of my journey:
- Grew up in Spring (Houston area)
- Majored in Business
, Minored in Chinese at Trinity University, San Antonio
- 1998 Studied in Taiwan (and loved it)
- 2001-04 Taught in a university in China (Shandong Province)
- 2004 - graduated from Wheaton College with MA in Intercultural Studies
- 2004-05 studied Mandarin at Beijing Foreign Studies University
- 2005-06 worked in Shenzhen, China for a MNC called Global Sources
- 2006-13 started several businesses in Southern China in transportation, quality control, sourcing, manufacturing and tutored English
and Mandarin to both Chinese and expats.
I tutor using a 4-step pedagogy including:
- Introduction of new material
- Performance in real world settings
I believe that as an American who has learned Chinese at a professional level, I have a unique insight on the nuances and struggles that learners of Chinese as a second language face. My first Chinese teacher was non-Chinese and it was a huge advantage for me to learn through his experience.
I am searching for students with the following characteristics:
- who have an interest in China and the Chinese language - whether oral or written.
- need to develop Mandarin skills for interaction in the marketplace
- want to understand Chinese etiquette
- are traveling to China and want to conduct themselves as an acceptable outsider
- want a deeper understanding of China and the Chinese
My pledge to you: I will be:
- passionate about your learning
- flexible to customize learning content to your needs
- inspiring for you to reach your language goals
If you feel like I might be a good fit as your Mandarin tutor, please contact me.