I'm a native Russian speaker. I was born in St.Petersburg (former Leningrad) where I got MS in Optical Engineering and PhD in Applied Mathematics and Physics.
Since 1993 I have been living in the USA, where I continue my professional activity. I also conduct private tutoring to share my knowledge, to teach, mentor and coach preschool, elementary, middle, high school, and college students. I have a broad knowledge of several disciplines that are covered in school and college basic courses. Among them are Russian grammar and Basic Russian Language.
Depending on the student’s goal, knowledge, and abilities I apply various approaches and cover topics in different ways. Details may vary depending on whether student:
- needs additional help while studying Russian in the school or college, or
- wants to master and exercise his Russian language, or
- wants to be fluent in Russian to communicate with people, or
- wants to read and understand Russian literature, or
- has business and wants in deep understanding of his Russian partners business documents, or
- is preparing for a trip as a tourist and wants to learn in advance the basic history, traditions, style of life, etc
My favorite approach is to talk about situations that happened to the student I am working with. From there we cover all basic grammar topics, working together on representing the situation in details, first become familiar with words and nouns, how to pronounce them, how to write them, making phrases, applying verbs, adjectives, etc. Then while exploring the situation we learn how to build sentences, how to represent situation as if it happened in the past, or going on now, or will happen in the future.
We may read together student’s favorite book, read it in English and express in Russian in different ways to understand in deep words meanings, how to make interpretation as close as possible, etc.
While covering particular topics or situation we may explore, say, topic like “Russians in Philadelphia”, and talk about what they are doing, why they come, what they eat, what they watch, what theaters, movies, entertainment they prefer, and such.