My job as an instructor reaches beyond my office or classroom doors. A sense of community, personal development, and pride are core values I hope to instill in my students wherever I teach. I take pride in my job as an instructor, and have found over the years that there are eight keys to keeping my students and myself on the same proud track of personal and community awareness through education. These keys are:
1. Understanding of self and world: A transformative power.
2. Taking initiative and finding joy in education.
3. Integrating acquired knowledge into daily life.
4. Maturing as an individual.
5. Exploring beyond the textbook.
6. Mutual respect and communication.
7. Variety: education activities, grading and assessment methods, teaching theories.
8. Continued improvement as an instructor.
I continually use these phrases to plan, implement, assess, and improve the learning environment.
As a tutor, I find that these same keys are necessary. It is my duty to discover what works best with for a student, and to help him/her find the means to solve problems on his/her own. Seeing my students grasp a concept they may have been struggling with is heartwarming, and I feel a sense of pride when I got to be their guide in that journey.
back to top