Hi, I am Juan from Sydney, Australia. Now the proud father of a toddling girl, born and bred in Manhattan! I am a life-long learner and I'd say that I teach in order to learn and learn in order to teach.
I have a masters degree in teaching English and ESL, years of experience in teaching, as well as other complementary travel, life and professional experience.
My main aim as a teacher and tutor is to assist students learn to the best of their ability. I believe that students learn best when they sense the relevance of the subject at hand and commit to mastering it. I assist them in that process by contextualizing their learning and by developing with them simple and effective learning techniques; an appreciation of time-management and goal-setting; and a sense of purpose and self-empowerment.
I like to run tutoring sessions that attempt to:
- Be tailored to the student's learning needs and talents;
- Complete all the work at hand;
- Engage the student's higher critical thinking skills;
- Set challenging but achievable goals;
- Adapt to the student's developing understanding of the subject;
- Develop the student's learning confidence and self-reliability.
Ultimately, I would like to assist students become fellow life-long and independent learners.
back to top