VERY EXPERIENCED TEACHER & TUTOR:
* Over 30 years college teaching as Adjunct Professor at several colleges
(appointments in: Computer Science; Math & Statistics; Physics)
* Over 20 years private tutoring for High School Regents, AP, and college subjects - including mathematics (algebra, geometry, pre-calc, calculus, statistics, etc.), physical sciences (physics, chemistry, earth science), computer science & programming, etc., plus geography, history, economics, and writing.
* Over 7 years of test-prep teaching and tutoring - SAT/PSAT, ACT, GRE, and MCAT. (Trained and certified by both Kaplan and Princeton Review.)
* Curriculum developer and/or trainer for numerous employee training programs, as well as for vocational exams such as GED, ASVAB, Civil Service, Teacher Certification (NYSTCE), etc.
Professional career: scientific research, computer software, product development, and management at Long Island companies such as Grumman, Robotic Vision Systems, Brookhaven National Lab.
I'm also a professional writer and editor, as well as a radio broadcaster (hosting two weekly talk shows on noncommercial community-radio stations, for the past ten years).
Education: B.S. Mathematics from Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn (Poly). Postgraduate studies at Poly as a Physics PhD candidate in X-Ray Diffraction & Crystallography. Further post-grad studies in Computer Science at Poly and at Stony Brook University.
TUTORING PHILOSOPHY & APPROACH:
I focus on understanding of the concepts and developing the student's ability to solve problems -- rather than tedious drill and temporary memorization.
1. I get results! (Demonstrated improvement: passing courses, raising grades, better test scores, etc.)
2. Knack for establishing good rapport with each student.
3. Focus on understanding concepts and developing skills and strategies to solve problems.
4. Also, my ability to make things understandable, in writing and in discussion.
back to top