Wendy V. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Wendy, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
Dear Prospective Students, Parents and Educators,
I am a graduate of two top-tier British universities with a proven track record tutoring motivated High School students and others. I work with the student to assess strengths and weaknesses, come up with a realistic plan to make good on all gaps and deliver measurably improved results, as demonstrated in classroom grades or test/exam results.
I can help with liberal Arts - Master your SAT, ACT and AP challenges in
English: Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension and writing; Latin: Translation, culture; History of Art / Art History; European History; Economics: macro-economics, micro-economics.
PRIVATE SCHOOL/COLLEGE ADMISSIONS
I can assist with admissions essays and coaching for interviews.
I can also assist with COMPUTING - Master the tools to unlock your skills in MS-WORD - specializing in large, multi-section documents with inserts and hypertext linking; MS-Excel - data manipulation including pivot tables and charting; MS-PowerPoint - visual presentations as a communication tool.
If you have a deadline to meet, either with course-work or an upcoming exam / test, contact me via phone or email TODAY!
I have made a life-long study of European, US, Middle Eastern and World History of Art, including sub-areas in architecture, classical antiquities, and ceramics. I have successfully tutored students in these areas to Grade 5 standard in the AP Art History exam. I do not however have academic credentials in these areas.
Of all the social sciences, Economics is perhaps the most maligned, being referred to as the 'dismal science'. Yet economics, which is indelibly linked to politics, sociology, technology and law, is the only social science which tries to build a comprehensive model of how societies function in the real world, and why.
The classic division in economics is between macro economics, the 'big picture' and micro economics, which analyzes and proposes theories at the transactional level. Certain concepts, such as supply, demand and elasticity are common to both sides of economics.
My tutoring in economics is custom tailored to the student's needs and timeframe.
European History, for many Americans, is the history of foreign countries which are little known. But for the student of international relations, global history or world politics, European history is the 'missing link' that helps explain the present world and current events.
European history can comprise studies from the first conceptualization of Europe as an entity, to the present day. Therefore classes will be customized to the time span and geographic region specified by the student.
To speak another language is to possess another soul. To speak, read and write French is to possess a very different soul from that of the average American.
The goal of tutoring in French is to help the student feel at ease:
- Reading French language from a variety of sources - novels, poetry, newspapers, magazines
- Expressing him or herself more fluently with written French, including written responses to questions, answering questions requiring comprehension of French text, and writing essays
- The confidence to speak conversational French
These are ambitious goals, requiring the student to learn or brush up on basic French grammar, including verbs, genders, cases and sentence construction. In addition, students will be encouraged to perfect their accents in spoken French
Latin is not only one of the most widely taught ancient languages, it has also influenced the evolution of much vocabulary in English and other languages.
Latin language tutoring can include, at the student's request:
- Latin grammar, translations into and out of Latin
- Study of Latin texts from classic authors including speeches, histories, drama and poetry
English literature is a rich mine of plots and unforgettable characters, made real to us by authors over the centuries.
Mastering literature requires that the student immerse him or her self in the text, taking into account the author's time and particular context.
MY Literature tutoring includes review of the text, analysis of the author's intentions and use of language, comparison with the author's other titles, and familiarity with the set texts.
MS-Excel is a versatile data handling tool which, while associated with mathematical calculations also has uses in data management of non-numeric types.
At the heart of Excel are a series of features and algorithms which, when well selected and used, will enable the user to produce more professional materials of all sorts.
At the student's request, classes can be tailored to cover:
- Setting up a file - look & feel
- Exploiting the multi-worksheet Excel File
- Data handling, including creating a questionnaire, filtering data for results
- Data manipulation to create pivot tables
- Using data to generate charts
Microsoft Outlook is the most popular, and has become the standard package used by corporations to manage their email, calendar and other functions. My credentials to teach MS Outlook include extensive MS-Office training, and 5 plus years of active hands-on use for corporations including top 2 banks, 2 top manufacturers and multiple life sciences companies.
Whether you are a new hire and need a basic overview, or now have new responsibilities for managing other people's calendars, I will be able to assist you.
My tutoring is customized to the student's needs and can include:
- Basic email navigation, including settings, signatures and folders
- Importing and exporting attachments
- Calendars and meetings - invitations and resources
Of all the Microsoft Office Tools, PowerPoint is one of the most powerful in terms of communications potential.
PowerPoint provides a graphic framework in which to showcase Microsoft Word, graphic images and outputs from other software including Excel, Paint, Adobe and others.
My PowerPoint tutoring is targeted from beginner level on up: from middle school homework to presentations to the senior managers in a company, I will help each student make his points most effectively.
At the student's request, classes can cover:
- designing the PowerPoint outline
- Avoiding "death by PowerPoint"
- establishing and using the PowerPoint masque or template
- Importing illustrations, charts etc.
- Special features including sound and animation
English reading is a basic building block of comprehension and expression. Elementary reading tutoring will be designed to cover the student's key needs:
- Basic vocabulary
- Sentence structure
- Composition of essays
- Comprehension of text and Q & A
The challenges of SAT Reading can be summarized:
- Comprehension of complex pieces of text - and the questions asked about them.
- The ability to analyze advanced questions involving superior knowledge of English vocabulary and punctuation
SAT Reading tutoring will bring students the self-confidence to do both these things, within the time constraints of an exam situation.
I concentrate on evaluating and addressing the student's issues with targeted classes and assignments.
The challenges of SAT Writing can be summarized:
- The ability to understand complex questions about text and to analyze their intent.
- The ability to comprehend the multiple answer choices so as to select the closest correct answer.
SAT Writing tutoring will provide students the tools to do both these things, within the time constraints of an exam situation.
I concentrate on evaluating and addressing the student's issues with targeted classes and assignments.
The challenges of SPELLING can be summarized:
- A broad awareness of English vocabulary must be achieved in order to recognize words in their correct and incorrect versions.
- Where the questions revolve around use of language, the student must be confident in his/her understanding of what the target words mean.
- Where there are words that are spelled similarly, the student must be able to analyze shades of meaning that distinguish words from each other so as to select the correct answer.
Tutoring in SPELLING will bring students the necessary skills to analyze the target words, recognize testing tricks when they are used, and select the correct answers in tests.
Vocabulary development is essential for SAT success, as well as improved reading comprehension and written expression at the school and college level.
To learn vocabulary is to learn the building block of language, the words and phrases which English provides to communicate shades of meaning.
Vocabulary improvement requires some effort on the part of the student. However, the good news is that any improvement will contribute to a student's improvement in other subjects. My tutoring is therefore built around the student's stated needs and weaknesses, and geared to measurable improvement.
The art of writing is one of the most critical elements of communication, without which we are stranded emotionally, intellectually and in every other way.
The art of writing comprises:
- An understanding of what it is you want to express.
- a recognition of the need for exposition, or arguing your point of view.
- An awareness of the best strategy for expressing your viewpoint
- An acknowledgment of your intended audience, and the best way to "reach" them.
- The wordsmith's tools- vocabulary, grammar and punctuation that will help you refine your message so that you express it in the clearest and most effective way.
My approach to teaching writing is to start from the student's stated objectives and current level, identifying gaps and setting classes and classwork that will bridge the gaps in the student's time frame.
Great Tutor And A Wonderful Person — Wendy worked with my son over several months, through the SATs and on into the college admissions phase. My son's strong suits are Mathematics, Finance and Marketing, but he needed help with the English SAT. My son liked Wendy and worked well with her, resulting in a Reading score of 690 on the SAT. Wendy work with our son on his college and scholarship essays was greatly beneficial. I highly reco ...
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Usually responds in about 2 hours
Send Wendy a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Wendy or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.