Kurt L. passed a background check on 1/13/11. The check was ordered by Kurt through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Kurt, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
I have a PhD in Physics and Atmospheric Science from Drexel University and nearly twenty years of experience teaching mathematics and physics. Most of my students were either working toward their GED, or were freshman and sophomore Pharmacy, Pre-med or Allied Health Sciences majors.
Over my many years as a college professor I have taught the full range of general mathematics courses from prealgebra to integral calculus, with some business math and statistics courses thrown in during the latter part of my teaching career. While I was teaching math courses I was also teaching algebra and calculus based physics courses as well as their accompanying labs.
I also have an avid interest in astronomy and have taught astronomy courses about three times during my teaching career. I have also been told by my students several times that I should be teaching computer courses because of my thorough knowledge of computer usage and Microsoft office applications.
Over the last several years that I was teaching, I realized that I enjoyed tutoring the most because of the face-to-face experience helping students like you who really want some help. So I hope to hear from you so that I can continue to enjoy tutoring while assisting you in your quest for a successful and rewarding education.
Kurt L. in Media, PA
1) Limits & Limit Properties
3) Applications of Differentiation
2) Integration of Transcendental Functions
3) Applications of Integration
4) Integration Methods, L'Hopital's Rule & Improper Integrals
5) Infinite Series
1) Vectors & Vector Spaces
2) Vector Functions
3) Multivariable Functions
4) Multiple Integration
5) Vector Analysis
I overlooked this category when I first selected the courses I was interested in tutoring. I feel that I am very good at this and my former students suggested several times that I should be teaching this material (See my freestyle introduction if you wish). Secondly, I have recently passed all three of the MS applications certifications in quick succession. Finally, there is a potential client in Havertown who has had trouble finding a tutor. I think I understand his situation and frustration, and would like to try to help him.
I tutor Conceptual and Introductory Physics.
Also, Fluid Dynamics, Atmospheric Physics & Meteorology
TOPICS for INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS
(Algebra and Calculus Based)
I. Intro, Vectors & Kinematics
1. Philosophy, Units & Measurement
3. Motion in One Dimension
4. Motion in Two (or Three) Dimensions
II. Simple Dynamics
1. Forces & Newton’s Laws
2. Work & Kinetic Energy
3. Potential Energy & Conservation of Mechanical Energy
4, Linear Momentum & Impulse
5. Conservation of Momentum & Collisions
III. Kinematics & Dynamics of Circular, Rotational & Orbital Motion; Gravitation
1. Uniform Circular Motion
2. Kinematics of Rotational Motion
3. Torque & Static Equilibrium
4. Dynamics of Rotational Motion; Rolling & Gyroscopic Motion
5. Angular Momentum and its Conservation
6. Gravitation & Orbital Motion
IV. Oscillations, Waves & Flows; Solids & Fluids
1. Elasticity & Oscillations (Simple Harmonic Motion)
4. Superposition & Interferrence
5. Fluid Mechanics
V. Thermal Physics
1. Temperature & Thermal Expansion
2. Ideal Gases & Kinetic Theory
3. Heat, Thermal Energy & Heat Transfer
4. Heat & the First Law of Thermodynamics
5. Heat Engines, Entropy & the Second Law of Thermodynamics
1. Electric Charges & Electric Fields
2. Electric Fields & Gauss’ Law
3. Electric Potential Energy & Electric Potential
4. Capacitance, Capacitance Circuits & Dielectrics
5. Current & Resistance; Ohm’s Law
6. Direct Current Circuits
1. Magnetic Fields & Forces
2. Sources of Magnetic Fields; Ampere’s Law
3. Electromagnetic Induction & Faraday’s Law
4. Inductance & Electromagnetic Oscillation
5. Alternating Current Circuits
6. Maxwell’s Equations & Electromagnetic Waves
VIII. Light, Optics & Relativity
1. Nature & Propagation of Light
2. Physical Optics: Polarization, Interference & Diffraction
3. Geometrical Optics: Reflection & Mirrors
4. Geometrical Optics: Refraction & Lenses
5. Optical Instruments
6. Special Relativity
IX. Modern Physics
1. Origins of Modern Physics
2. Waves and Particles; Quantum Mechanics
3. Atomic Physics
4. Molecules & Solids
5. Conduction of Electrons & Superconductivity
6. Nuclear Physics
7. Nuclear Energy and Ionizing Radiation
8. Particle Physics
9. Astrophysics & Cosmology
I would very much like to help you if you are taking the Praxis exam. I have helped a few clients pass the exams by assisting them in improving their facility in math. My ability to help improve your understanding performance in math is also supported by the wide array of math subjects I am certified to tutor.
My ability to help you do well in the Praxis exam is not limited to math however. I have a reputation for using a large vocabulary and being a good writer. I am also an avid reader and have passed the WyzAnt certification exams to tutor SAT reading and writing as well as for the GREs.
I also have at the time of this writing a high customer satisfaction rating of about 4.75 out of 5 stars. So if you are looking for a talented tutor with a strong set of skills and who really enjoys helping someone like you as a tutor, then you might want want to check me out.
This subject description for Precalculus also applies to courses and texts with the title ‘Algebra and Trigonometry’. College Algebra is essentially Precalculus without Trigonometry.
R. Review of Basic Concepts and Skills
I. Equations and Inequalities
II. Functions and Graphs
III. Polynomial and Rational Functions
IV. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
V. Trigonometric Functions
VI. Analytic Trigonometry
VII. Applications of Trigonometry
VIII. Systems of Equations and Inequalities; Matrix Algebra
IX. Conic Sections; Analytic Geometry
X. Sequences and Series; Induction
XI. Counting, Combinatorics and Probability
I taught statistics for health science students at the School of Nursing and Health Sciences, Drexel University. Currently, I am a statistics and science tutor at a community college in Morganton, NC.
Overall, I have teaching and tutoring experience of over 20 years in numerous mathematics and science subjects, and also reading and writing prep for standardized admissions tests.
Excellent Tutor! — Kurt L. is a very well credentialed tutor! Kurt L. tutored my son his first year of college in Calculus 1, a very tough subject. He was not doing well in the course, and after a couple months with Kurt my son was understanding the subject so much better. Kurt L. is a very reliable, knowledgeable, patient and detailed tutor. My son could not have been happier with Kurt’s expertise in the subjec ...
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Usually responds in about 13 hours
Send Kurt a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Kurt or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.