My tutoring experience is broad, both in subject and student age, and I am both patient and thorough.
- volunteered as a reading and math tutor in kindergarten, first- and second-grade classrooms;
- worked with older elementary and middle school kids on math, English, science, and foreign languages;
- worked with high schoolers on French and English, as well as on SAT, ACT, and IB skills;
- taught violin to students ages 6-60;
- tutored adult foreign Humphrey Fellowship professionals in English through the American English Institute at the University of Oregon;
- been an undergrad writing assistant for literature courses, as well as a Graduate Teaching Fellow in literature, Sociology, history, Humanities, and Russian language courses;
- worked with kids ages 7-18 in French, Russian, and English language immersion programs through the Concordia Language Villages organization.
As far as my language instruction training goes, I not only love languages, but thoroughly understand how to go about learning them most efficiently. I am a native English speaker, and am fluent in both Russian and French, with years of experience teaching all three languages through both the Concordia Language Villages program as well as privately. I hold a master's degree in Russian Studies and an undergraduate degree in both Russian and French, and also have a background with Japanese and Portuguese; I am more than comfortable tutoring in Russian, French and English, but Japanese and Portuguese would have to be at a very introductory level.
I am comfortable working with individuals or groups, tutoring or teaching from scratch. Language is an ultimately social endeavor, and I believe in conversation and immersion as the foremost tools in acquiring proficiency in a new language.
back to top