A solid track record of success working with middle and high school students in math
prep. Focused on three questions: What the student knows? what the student does NOT know? and why? then using the answers to create a tutoring approach to match the student’s needs.
SUMMARY of QUALIFICATIONS
* 9 years tutoring grades 8-12 in math and physics
* 7 years of teaching math and tutoring math and physics at the college level
* Overall, 700+ hours of high school and college tutoring
* Offering both InPerson and supplemental Online tutoring
* Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award in Math
* Use of technology to reinforce the student’s self-learning process
* Masters degree from MIT
* 2nd Master's from NYU/Bell Telephone Labs (CDTP)
* Additional courses in mathematics
at University of Pennsylvania
* SAT/ACT preparation
* Accuplacer Placement Test preparation
* Basic Mathematics
* Developmental Math
* Math for Elementary School Teachers, Nurses and Auto Technicians
1, 2 and 3
* Differential Equations
* High school physics
* Introductory and Intermediate college Physics
* 40 years in high-tech engineering, management and consulting;
* Since 2007, Adjunct Professor of Mathematics at MassBay Community College, Framingham State University and Wentworth Institute of Technology;
* Developed four (4) special Math Tutoring programs for AutoTech, BioTech, Physics and Athletes that became the foundation of an Internet
-based summer program in Basic and Refreshing Mathematics;
* Recipient of two Title III grants to develop online tutoring; and to incorporate SOCRATIVE.com for the use in a "flipped classroom" environment;
* Nominated for Excellence in Teaching in FY2014;
* In conjunction with three other Adjunct Professors and three Peer Tutors and the college's CIO implemented and delivered an online, live Internet-based tutoring program for in-coming freshman to prepare them to take the Accuplacer Placement test. Involved some 70 students who could not come to campus to obtain this type of tutoring.
* An early adopter of:
... Pearson's MyMathLab and McGraw-Hill's ALEKS computer
... Socrative.com in support of a flipped-classroom paradigm;
and Wolfram/Alpha to support students studying Pre Calculus
* Developed and implemented a revision of MassBay's Calculus 1, 2 & 3 and Differential Equations courses under the auspices of the "best practices" of Calculus Reform;
* Provided pro-bono tutoring to METCO students at Lincoln-Sudbury High School;
* Tutored a high school student for a year in math, a subject twice failed and a requirement for graduation. He went on to college and became a highly respected, remedial math teacher - "he had walked in their shoes".
MY TEACHING PHILOSOPHY
BASED ON A BLEND OF TWO EXPERIENCES
The first, a proud career as an engineer, executive, and consultant in high tech where fluency in the language
of mathematics is fundamental to success. Since 2007 in academia where I \teach and tutor mathematics at the college level; and tutor middle and high school students in mathematics, physics and SAT/ACT Prep.
WHAT STUDENTS CAN EXPECT OF ME
* Approach mathematics from an application perspective;
* Treat mathematics as a language--"Mathish;"
* To be challenged to think in every class;
* A Socratic style of interaction;
* Support via the Internet, email
* High expectations of them to perform;
* Incorporate humor as a part of the learning process;
* My reward is their success.