Send Joseph a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Joseph or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
University of Del (electrical eng'g)
New York University / Bell Telephone Labratories (Master's)
A solid track record of success working with middle and high school students in math, physics and SAT/ACT prep. Focused on three questions: What the student knows? what the student does NOT know? and why? then using the answers to create a tutoring approach to match the student’s needs.
SUMMARY of QUALIFICATIONS
* 9 years tutoring grades 8-12 in math and physics
* 7 years of teaching math and tutoring math and physics at the college level
* Overall, 700+ hours of high school and college tutoring
* Offering both InPerson and supplemental Online tutoring
* Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award in Math
* Use of technology to reinforce the student’s self-learning process
* Masters degree from MIT
* 2nd Master's from NYU/Bell Telephone Labs (CDTP)
* Additional courses in mathematics at University of Pennsylvania
* SAT/ACT preparation
* Accuplacer Placement Test preparation
* Basic Mathematics
* Developmental Math
* Math for Elementary School Teachers, Nurses and Auto Technicians
* Geometry and Trigonometry
* Calculus 1, 2 and 3
* Differential Equations
* High school physics
* Introductory and Intermediate college Physics
* 40 years in high-tech engineering, management and consulting;
* Since 2007, Adjunct Professor of Mathematics at MassBay Community College, Framingham State University and Wentworth Institute of Technology;
* Developed four (4) special Math Tutoring programs for AutoTech, BioTech, Physics and Athletes that became the foundation of an Internet-based summer program in Basic and Refreshing Mathematics;
* Recipient of two Title III grants to develop online tutoring; and to incorporate SOCRATIVE.com for the use in a "flipped classroom" environment;
* Nominated for Excellence in Teaching in FY2014;
* In conjunction with three other Adjunct Professors and three Peer Tutors and the college's CIO implemented and delivered an online, live Internet-based tutoring program for in-coming freshman to prepare them to take the Accuplacer Placement test. Involved some 70 students who could not come to campus to obtain this type of tutoring.
* An early adopter of:
... Pearson's MyMathLab and McGraw-Hill's ALEKS computer-based programs;
... Socrative.com in support of a flipped-classroom paradigm;
... Mathematica and Wolfram/Alpha to support students studying Pre Calculus and above;
* Developed and implemented a revision of MassBay's Calculus 1, 2 & 3 and Differential Equations courses under the auspices of the "best practices" of Calculus Reform;
* Provided pro-bono tutoring to METCO students at Lincoln-Sudbury High School;
* Tutored a high school student for a year in math, a subject twice failed and a requirement for graduation. He went on to college and became a highly respected, remedial math teacher - "he had walked in their shoes".
MY TEACHING PHILOSOPHY BASED ON A BLEND OF TWO EXPERIENCES
The first, a proud career as an engineer, executive, and consultant in high tech where fluency in the language of mathematics is fundamental to success. Since 2007 in academia where I \teach and tutor mathematics at the college level; and tutor middle and high school students in mathematics, physics and SAT/ACT Prep.
WHAT STUDENTS CAN EXPECT OF ME
* Approach mathematics from an application perspective;
* Treat mathematics as a language--"Mathish;"
* To be challenged to think in every class;
* A Socratic style of interaction;
* Support via the Internet, email, phone;
* High expectations of them to perform;
* Incorporate humor as a part of the learning process;
* My reward is their success. A solid track record of success working with middle and high school students in math, physics and SAT/ACT prep. Focused on three questions:… Read more
This man knows his stuff and knows how to teach. We will be back. He had great study and test tips.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
Joseph S. passed a background check on 10/10/14. The check was ordered by Joseph through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Joseph, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.