Jozef S. passed a background check on 7/21/14. The check was ordered by Jozef through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Jozef, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
SUMMARY of TUTORING QUALIFICATIONS
* 9 years tutoring grades 8-12 in math and physics
* 7 years of teaching math and tutoring math and physics at the college level
* 400+ hours of high school and college tutoring in math and physics
* Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award in Math
* Received 2 grants to develop Internet-based, live Tutoring process
* Early adopter of technology in support of a student's learning process.
In addition, I have
* Masters degree from MIT in Electrical Engineering
* 40 years in high-tech engineering, management and consulting
* 2nd Master's from NYU/Bell Telephone Labs (CDTP)
* Awarded 9 patents
SUBJECTS TAUGHT AND TUTORED
* Mathematics including: Geometry, Algebra and Trigonometry
* Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers
* Mathematics for Automotive Technology students
* Mathematics for Nursing students
* Calculus 1,2 and 3
* Differential Equations
* High school physics
* Introductory and Intermediate college Physics
TEACHING and TUTORING BACKGROUND
* Since 2007, Adjunct Professor of Mathematics in all levels of mathematics at MassBay Community College, Framingham State University and Wentworth Institute of Technology.
* Developed four special Math Tutoring programs for AutoTech, BioTech, Physics and Athletes that was the foundation of a live, Internet-based summer program in Remedial Mathematics.
* Recipient of two Title III grants to develop on-line tutoring - "Virtual Tutoring:; and to incorporate SOCRATIVE.com for the use in a "flipped classroom" environment and as a complement for tutoring where I could give "pop quizzes" to my students between face-to-face sessions.
* Nominated for Excellence in Teaching in 2013.
* Implemented on-line, live Internet-based tutoring process for in-incoming freshman to prepare them to take the Accuplacer test.
* An early adopter of Pearson's MyMathLab and McGraw-Hill's ALEKS computer-based programs, Socrative to support a flipped-classroom paradigm and the use of Mathematica and Wolfram/Alpha programs to support students studying Pre
Calculus and above.
* Developed and implemented a revision of MassBay's Calculus 1, 2 & 3 and Differential Equations courses under the auspices of the "best practices" of Calculus Reform.
* Provided pro-bono tutoring to METCO students at Lincoln-Sudbury High School.
* Tutored a high school student for a year in math, a subject twice failed and a requirement for graduation. He went on to college and became a highly respected, remedial math teacher - he knew how tough it was to learn math.
MY TEACHING PHILOSOPHY BASED ON A BLEND OF TWO EXPERIENCES
The first, a proud career as an engineer, executive, and consultant in high tech where fluency in the language of mathematics is fundamental to success; and subsequently in academia where I now teach and tutor mathematics at both a 2 year and 4 year college level.
Both experiences have contributed to my understanding that, although math has been a painful barrier to success to many students, these students can become math-competent given their commitment to try coupled with a supportive tutoring /mentoring environment.
WHAT STUDENTS CAN EXPECT OF ME
* Approach mathematics from an application perspective;
* Treat mathematics as a language--Mathish;
* To be challenged to think in every class;
* A Socratic style of interaction;
* Support via the Internet, email, phone;
* High expectations of them to perform;
* Incorporate humor as a part of the learning process;
* My reward is their success.
I have a Master’s Degree from MIT with 40 years of high-tech experience as a practicing electrical engineering; and have taught/tutored Differential Equations at the college level.
The course I teach is intended for students majoring in engineering and the physical sciences and parallels a course in Differential Equations at a four-year college or university. The course covers: classification /solutions to homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations/systems; autonomous equations/systems, and linear and nonlinear equations/systems; using standard methods such as separation of variables; integrating factors, exact equations and substitution methods; solving second and higher order equations using reduction of order, undetermined coefficients; and variation of parameters; solve systems of equations and use eigenvalues / eigenvectors to analyze the behavior / phase portrait of the system; use of Laplace transforms to solve initial value problems; and solve boundary value problems and relate the solution to the Fourier series.
Knows His Stuff — This man knows his stuff and knows how to teach. We will be back. He had great study and test tips. ...
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Usually responds in about 9 hours
Send Jozef a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Jozef or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.