In addition to tutoring elementary students for many years, I have worked as both a math and English instructor for an after-school program designed for kids between 8-14 years of age.
I've done extensive test prep for MCAS exams and have assigned and graded nearly every kind of book report, essay, and homework assignment in between.
I have a broad amount of experience within both the arts and sciences of music and its derivative subjects. In terms of qualifications, I have the following experience: I majored in music (theory/composition, history, performance), I have been playing an instrument for over 10 years, I have taught basic music theory to children, I have taken music history courses in genres ranging from early Gregorian Chant to Italian Trecento to North Indian Hindustani Classical music, and I have worked with various computer music compositional practices.
Music history is a very expansive subject. However, I feel that the experiences that I have gained in both the classroom and in practice have left me well-versed to assist someone in need of understanding the subject more clearly.
I have taken several courses devoted to the development of music over time. I will list these classes with a short description of their content.
- Introduction to Western Music - an overview of forms and styles of Western classical music, with emphasis on the period of common practice (Baroque, Classical, Romantic), 1700-1910
- Early Music - history of Western music from antiquity until approximately 1680 (about 2000 years), focus topics included chant structure, performance, and development; 14th century music of Italy and France; Elizabethan London; and Venice in the Baroque era
- Music of India - Hindustani classical music of North India, and also learning about the ancient foundations of the rich classical traditions of music and dance of all Indian art and culture
- Senegalese Drumming Ensemble - instruction and practice of the art of sabar, a drum and dance tradition of the Wolof people of Senegal, West Africa
- Music and Technology - the history, culture, and aesthetics of music and technology as deployed in experimental and popular musics from the 19th century to the present.