Katharine L. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Katharine, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
My name is Katharine L. and I graduated from Boston College in May 2013 with a degree in secondary education and Hispanic Studies. Through my coursework and particularly through my five semesters of student teaching in several Boston area high schools, I have developed the skills and experience necessary to be a successful Spanish teacher. At Boston College, I completed specific courses that focused on various aspects of teaching at the secondary level such as secondary curriculum and instruction, classroom assessment, working with students with special needs, secondary reading instruction, and social contexts of education. However, the most beneficial aspect of my academic career came with my field experience student teaching in four different high schools throughout Boston, where I had the opportunity to apply my classroom learning in practice.
Each of my student teaching experiences has provided me with unique learning experiences within the classroom, in which I have been able to develop professionally through working closely with veteran teachers. Throughout all of my practica, I have planned interactive and engaging lessons by incorporating appropriate technology, and differentiating instruction in order to reach a diverse class of learners. Furthermore, I constantly work to align my lessons with the Massachusetts curriculum frameworks and strive to reach all five strands in the foreign language standards. Student teaching has helped prepare me for the many demands of teaching, and due to my experience in the formal classroom setting, I believe I would make an effective tutor.
Additionally, I studied abroad for a summer in Santiago, Chile and a semester in Madrid, Spain where I completed all my coursework in Spanish language and art history, Modern Spanish Literature, Spanish Literature of the Golden Age, and studies on the environment and society of Spain. All of my courses were conducted in Spanish and taught by local University faculty. As a native English speaker and a future Spanish teacher, I believe that one of the most important aspects of my future teaching is my ability and knowledge of the Spanish language and Hispanic culture. My coursework abroad greatly improved my spoken and written Spanish and I gained a more global perspective through my immersion in the unique Spanish and Chilean cultures. In addition to my coursework, I completed an international pre-practicum in Madrid in a bilingual high school. My insights gained during my time abroad have helped me grow as a person and a student and will translate into my teaching, as I bring in real life experiences and knowledge into the classroom.
Teaching Practicum Experience
North Quincy High School, Quincy, Massachusetts 1/13-5/13 - Full-practicum student teacher
• Resumed full responsibility including writing and implementing daily lesson plans for three classes: Spanish 2 Honors, Spanish 1 Standard, and Spanish 2 Advanced.
• Planned lessons aligned with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks incorporating the five strands of the foreign language standards.
• Attend corresponding Inquiry Seminar and conducted an action research project in the classroom concerning how to increase student participation in the target language.
Waltham High School, Waltham, Massachusetts 9/12-12/12 - Pre-practicum student teacher
• Planned and taught a lesson on El Día de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead) to Spanish III Honors. Lesson was conducted in target language.
• Planned and taught a lesson on the Subjunctive mood in Spanish and developed and graded a writing assessment on the Subjunctive mood using predetermined grading criteria.
• Developed various graphic organizers and assessments to accompany lessons.
Colegio San Rafael, Madrid, Spain 10/11-12/11 - International pre-practicum student teacher, Bilingual Private School
• Broadened my understanding of the international classroom by observing and participating in the bilingual Spanish school.
• Wrote an analysis considering the similarities and differences observed between the Spanish and American classrooms.
• Worked weekly with select English conversation groups, facilitated discussion on American history and culture, and taught English grammar concepts.
Saint Columbkille Summer Program Lead 5th/6th Grade Teacher
Saint Columbkille Elementary School Summer Enrichment Program Teacher 6/12-8/12
• Developed ten lesson plans per week according to the summer program curriculum.
• Worked closely with Program Coordinator on developing and implementing curriculum.
• Supervised Aides, Junior Counselors, and camp Volunteers.
• Developed supportive relationships with students of various ages, cultures, and abilities.
• Participated in staff meetings, weekly field trips, and additional duties as needed.
Arch Bishop Williams High School, Braintree, Massachusetts 2/11-5/11 - Pre-practicum student teacher
• Introduced a unit on Argentina though an overview of the history of the Tango and new Tango vocabulary in target language (Spanish). Incorporated appropriate technology to engage students in a new unit of study. Additionally, introduced the familiar command form in Spanish, both positive and negative commands and facilitated an interactive activity to reinforce the new material in target language.
• Created a graphic organizer explaining the difference between the Spanish prepositions por and para to be included in my lesson.
• Evaluated group presentations on the Royal Family of Spain using a rubric.
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Send Katharine a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Katharine or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.