I have been a tutor at Northeastern University and Tufts Medical Scool working with high school, undergraduate and graduate students for over 7 years. At Northeastern I specialize in working with student athletes.. Athletes have incredibly difficult schedules and I work with them on time management and organization, as well as subject specific content.
** I was recently voted tutor of the month!
Here's what my students are saying:
"Strengths as a tutor: Amanda makes sure she is prepared to help me with the material. She goes the extra mile to find helpful tutorial videos and study aids before we meet. If she doesn't know the answer to a problem, she takes it home and finds the answer for our next session.
What has she helped most with?: Amanda has really helped me figure out what kind study style works for me to learn the material. She is really great at breaking down information into steps to make it easier to remember.
Amanda has also been known to buy the textbook her students are using! Woo Hoo!"
I also have mentored students in a medical research lab, helping them with class work, designing experiments and guiding both the students understanding of concepts in the lab, and also the physical lab work. I have worked with high school, undergraduate, graduate and medical students. I am happy to provide references from any of my work experience.
In addition to my tutoring work I passed my Biology GRE with a 960, demonstrating my comprehensive knowledge in general biology. I then was accepted to Tufts Medical School where I am nearly completing my Masters Degree in Cellular and Molecular Developmental Biology. I plan to graduate in Fall 2012. I do primary medical research there, as well as taking advanced biology courses, such as Biochemistry, Signal Transduction, Genetics, and Developmental Biology. I also review primary literature in journal club and present my findings at weekly lab meetings.
I am working towards my Masters in Arts of Teaching at Simmons College. I want to be a high school Biology teacher. I am currently observing at several high schools in the area. I will be certified as a Massachusetts educator in May 2012.
I also run my own pottery business on etsy. I believe that art and creativity are important parts of my academic success. Being creative in the studio helps me tap into that in the lab and solve complex problems with innovative solutions.
I believe in having a long lasting, trusting relationship with students. Working with them throughout a course to achieves the best results! I focus on concept understanding instead of memorization. This usually leads to the best knowledge retention and better test scores.
I love tutoring. It is such a joy to be able to help someone understand the subjects that I love. I am so excited to become a teacher and have the opportunity to help more students. I hope that I can share my science and education skills with you or your child! I have excellent results with my athletes and I know I can do the same for you!
- I can meet with students from 1-2 hour. I do not meet for less than 1 hour, it is not enough time to accomplish significant progress in a subject.
- Please e-mail me what topic you plan to work on.
- Bring your homework, tests, book, and notes, and calculator if needed.
- I expect students to be engaged and on time.
- I do not do graded work for students. It is best for the student to work with me on similar practice problems and then attempt the test or quiz on their own.
During your session:
- Introductions and getting to know each other.
- Assessing current standing in the class, upcoming exams, homework, structure of the class.
- Discussion about preferred learning strategies, notetaking and time management.
- Help with material - trouble areas or general walk through of lectures.
- Closing of the session with asking students what they liked, what I could do better, homework assignments for our next meeting, and scheduling.
* I keep notes on all my students so I can be prepared for our next lesson. I concentrate on what will help each student most and frequently send e-mails with videos and extra help. Each student is unique and important to me!
back to top