I have 4 years of experience being a tutor for math and chemistry.
In my experience, most people's difficulty in learning comes from not understanding the language of the subject; i.e., nobody learning chemistry speaks chemist yet. So I typically use the following method to tutor:
1) Give a clear formal definition for each topic followed by an analogy.
2) Give the simplest example of the topic.
3) Give a complex example of the topic.
4) Have the students work through problems and help when necessary.
I have three personal polices:
1) Our first meeting is free, unless I have to drive a long way. Even so it's WyzAnt's policy that payment info is on file before I can exchange contact info.
2) If you're younger than 18 we meet in a public place, or a parent or guardian is present while we study.
3) I'm not here to do your homework, but I will find similar examples and work through them with you.
back to top