"Education helps one case cease being intimidated by strange situations."
Dear parent and prospective tutee,
I am an enthusiastic educator dedicated to teaching and developing young brilliant minds. I was born in Kentucky and grew up in a small town. I graduated with honors from Harvard University with a bachelors in economics, and also hold a degree in medicine. I scored a perfect on the SATs in one sitting, and have scored in the very top percentiles on SAT IIs, PSAT, and MCATs. In addition, I am a professional member of the National Tutoring Association. Through diligence, I believe that anyone can maximize their score and testing with study and strategy. As I believe, while there are no short-cuts to success, there are prescribed formulas and real skills that are effective.
I encourage a low stress environment in helping students understand concepts first, then helping them apply these concepts on testing and subject exams. In my experience, pinpointing weaknesses is the first step in unlocking potential. I usually diagnose the barrier that prevents scoring well usually in the first lesson. We have a fun and fast paced session that improves skill and confidence. I believe the path to success should be as enjoyable as the end goal with their testing and educational needs.
I specialize in tutoring one-on-one and have utilized cutting edge technology to assist in the learning process. Distance is not a problem, as I have many students using Skype and virtual whiteboard with excellent results. I believe this method is superior to traditional pencil and paper, while enabling more time spent with students.
Please feel free to send me an email, and I hope to hear from you soon!
Academic Achievements and Awards
-Gained early admission to Harvard University
-Harvard College Scholarship, graduated with honors
-National Merit Scholar
-White House Presidential Scholar Finalist
-USA All Academic 2nd Team
-Selected by Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youths to teach
-Research Science Institute Alumni - Selected as top international 70 science students to attend summer internship at MIT
-Citigroup Shining Star Award (2004, 2005)
-Inducted into Gold Humanism Honor society in Medicine (2009)
-Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Hematology Scholarship (2012)
-Professional member of the National Tutoring Association
-Prior Harvard University student tutor
-Preceptor for UPMC Shadyside premed and Pitt medical students
-Junior Achievement teacher
-Researched at Harvard John F Kennedy School of Government for Center for International Development
-Dedication to community service, worked in homeless shelter, hospital, Meals on Wheels deliverer
1. Liu JC, Moore C, Comer D, Ragni MV; “Prevalence of Bleeding in Factor V Leiden”. Oral presentation at the 2nd Blood Disorders Conference supported by NIH, CDC, and Division of Blood Disorders in Atlanta, GA on March 2012 & Region III Hemophilia Treatment Centers Annual Meeting in Alexandria, Va on April 20,2012
2. Long-Chain Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Blood Pressure, James C. Liu, Sarah M. Conklin, Stephen B. Manuck, Jeffrey K. Yao and Matthew F. Muldoon; Received 11 February 2011; First Decision 6 April 2011; Accepted 7 June 2011; Published online 14 July 2011.
3. Liu JC, Manuck S, Conklin S, Muldoon M; “Relationship of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Blood Pressure in a Largely Normotensive Population”. Poster presentation at the David L Lawrence Convention Center for the 2008 Society of General Internal Medicine Conference in Pittsburgh, PA on April 2008
4. Pending journal article on acrodermatitis enteropathica and zinc deficiency pending
5. Acknowledged in publication in “Impact of Patents on Access to HIV/AIDS Drugs in Developing Countries”; currently in working paper #92, Center for International Development, Harvard University (2000)
back to top