Colleen M. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Colleen, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
Would you like to improve your scores on entrance exams significantly like my students do?
Let me tell you a bit about myself:
- I am the oldest of nine children with lots of practice tutoring others while growing up.
- I have an MBA from Boston University with concentrations in marketing and statistics, and a B.S. from UMass.
- For several decades, I have worked in the marketing, marketing research, competitive intelligence and public relations fields. Along the way, I have had several small businesses including a marketing and marketing research consulting practice for the past 20 years and a catering business.
- My undergraduate BS degree is from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. My major was the design and management of recreational programs and facilities with a minor in children's drama. I fulfilled student teaching requirements so I could have become certified to teach in that state. Throughout my undergraduate experience, I volunteered as a tutor in the inner city of Springfield, MA. Then, I ran community school programs and a community center in suburbs of Boston. I helped to get a licensed preschool in a center and brought in many different programs such as music, cooking, sewing, crafts, dancing, children's theater, etc., for adults and children. I also tutored the members' children in various subjects.
- From there, I moved on to educational testing for the Education Commission of the States, administering a test that measures children's and youths' abilities to read, perform math operations and understand basic science.
- A few years ago, I became certified to teach online with the University of Phoenix, where I teach marketing to MBA candidates. I have subsequently been approved to teach a wide variety of other subjects including entry-level courses to help new students acclimate to the University. Recently, I took the GMAT test again in preparation for teaching that test. I achieved the same score as when I took the test 35 years ago!
- Earlier this summer, I was accepted to teach at Albertus Magnus College in New Haven, CT. I am about to start my second marketing course with MBA candidates at this school.
- I love to write and have always been very good at math and most other school subjects. In addition, I read music and have play the piano and guitar, can teach various crafts and hobbies as well as life survival classes such as basic finance, budgeting, decision-making, problem-solving, cooking, baking, sewing, knitting, gardening, and so on.
- In my spare time, I play tennis, kayak and enjoy the outdoors. I am an Improv comedy performer and volunteer at a local theater. At any given time, I'm probably in the middle of about 10 books, so you could say I'm an extremely avid reader! I love animals and, at the moment, have two indoor cats.
- Each day, I have three goals: 1) make at least two people laugh; 2) learn something; and 3) do the very best I can at all I undertake.
I believe that everyone learns in a somewhat different way and at a different pace. Some people learn by listening, others by visual means, and still others by a combination of both. Everyone has subjects that come more easily than others, and many people have difficulties with certain topics. If one method of teaching doesn't work, then I will try another. And, if I don't have the answer, I will find it before trying to insist that I know something. Since I started teaching again, I have found that I absolutely love it!
What's my record? One of my students improved her math score on a standardized admission test by 18% in just three lessons! Another student improved his score on the math section of the GMAT by 20 percentiles. Still another student scored a 92% on the NY Regents Exam. And, yet two other students improved their scores on the ASVAB exam by nearly 125% and 95%, respectively. After just three weeks, the first ASVAB student who claimed he "hated" math and "couldn't do math" stood up and, with his chest puffed out, said "I love math! Math is fun!" Not only did he improve his score by nearly 125%, he scored 20% higher than he needed in order to enter the Coast Guard. He recently said to me, "Have anyone call me for a recommendation! I am so appreciative of what you did and how you helped me! No one has ever sat with me and helped me understand that I can do math problems; I just needed to be shown in a different way!"
Want similar results? I'm looking forward to working with you!
I earned an MBA degree, have more than 35 years of work experience including nearly 28 of running my own businesses. I have tutored students in the subject of Business Management before and, in fact, have a recommendation associated with my profile from a mother of a student I tutored about two years ago through WyzAnt.
Business Management courses typically scan the business environment, discuss management and leadership styles, organizational structures, and touch upon organizational behavior and related theories (which I used to teach at Boston University). They briefly discuss team management, corporate finance and accounting, macro- and micro-economics, supply chain management, marketing and public relations, among other topics.
Additionally, I currently teach Marketing Management online for the University of Phoenix and online and in the on-ground modalities for Albertus Magnus College (New Haven, CT).
In addition to tutoring students on the SAT and ACT exams, I currently work as an assistant admissions director for Bay State College in Boston. My responsibilities include guidance visits to meet with high school guidance counselors and students to inform them about the college's programs and admissions criteria, and representation of the college at college fairs throughout the state of Connecticut and Westchester, New York. Over the years, too, I have helped students edit their college applications and guided them on choosing a topic and developing an outline for their college essay.
Hello! As the oldest of nine children, I started cooking when I was 7. I took cooking classes at the local Girl's Club and also have taken classes in Spanish and Indian cuisines. For a while, I had a part-time catering business on the side and love to entertain. My specialty was Chinese and unusual buffets. I have a collection of more than 100 cookbooks covering different meals and various cuisines.
I can teach the basics of cooking and baking, provide ideas for varying meal plans, provide shopping and planning tips to help you save money, help you plan a basic kitchen or give you ideas, recipes and the ability to serve unusual and impressive meals for parties of two to 100!
My background in running a community center, doing student teaching while in college, and while volunteering in the inner-city of Springfield, MA contribute toward my experience. I have tutored young children periodically as a volunteer and as a paid tutor for more than 30 years, so I have a great deal of experience.
Thank you so much!
I have been using PCs for 25 years or so. I can help you get over any fears or concerns you might have, learn how to install and delete programs, clean up your system, advise on anti-virus software protection, teach you how to use Word (creating, editing and saving documents; setting up a filing system; retrieving documents before you lose them entirely, print documents, and so on). I can help you with the basics of Excel and am fairly well-versed in PowerPoint. I can also help you surf the Web and conduct searches to find the most relevant information and/or data using a variety of search engines.
Thank you for your consideration!
Most of my professional career has related to Marketing:
- More than 35 years in the field of Marketing Research
- Nearly 10 years in Public Relations and Communications for the world's largest and
most respected PR firm at that time
- Two decades of running and marketing my own small business
- Most recently, teaching Marketing to MBA candidates with the University of Phoenix online.
I will be able to help students understand:
- What Marketing is
- How it differs from sales
- That advertising is but one component of Marketing
- The differences between the sales, product, Marketing and holistic approaches to Marketing
and why the Marketing and/or Holistic approaches are best in today's environment
- The importance of defining one's market target(s) and understanding their needs/interests
- How culture and one's upbringing influence consumers' choices and preferences
- The relevance of spotting and tracking trends
- Elements involved in product development and innovation, etc.
I appreciate your consideration and look forward to working with you.
I've been playing various forms of poker for more than 30 years. In the past 10 years, I've been comped in Vegas and invited to tournaments there and at Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. Last year, I made it to the final two tables of a Texas Hold 'Em tournament at Foxwoods Casino, beating 472 other players and ranking number 13.
I had earned more than $125,000 in chips after starting with $1,500, was dealt a pair of aces but experienced an extremely bad beat by the big blind! He had been dealt a 4 and a 7 and, under normal circumstances should not have stayed in. But, he already had more than $100,000 committed in the pot, and only needed to contribute another $17,000 to stay in. The cards that came down gave him a straight (3, 4, 5, 4, 7), which beat my aces. Otherwise, I would have made it to the final table!
I'd love to help you with the basics and strategies. It's a lot of fun!
I have tutored students in the math and verbal sections of the Praxis I exam and helped them pass the test. I just finished working with a student who needed to take the Praxis again to achieve a higher score. She passed the exam with a slightly higher score than her college required.
Generally, I find the Praxis exam to be very similar in many respects to the SAT and other entry exams in terms of basic content. I have tutored high school and adult students on the SAT, ACT, ASVAB, TEAS, GMAT, and GRE for years with very good results.
I've been making presentations and speeches for more than 25 years to public and business audiences of all sizes and types. I can help you narrow in on the main points you wish to cover, structure the presentation or speech to achieve your goals and help you practice or get over any case of "nerves!" :)
I have been sewing since I was 7, so that's more than 50 years! I first learned by taking lessons at the Girl's Club and then in junior high. While in junior high, high school and college, I made all of my own clothes - from bathing suits to suits and prom gowns. I love making unique children's clothes and have made curtains, table cloths, covers for my couches and chairs, external shower curtains and more!
I would like to be able to reply to students' inquiries regarding study skills. Toward this end, some of the areas on which I would focus are: managing time, taking good notes, reviewing notes, organizing information, concentrating on studies without a TV, for example, being on, setting aside a specific place that is well-lit, comfortable and well-supplied for studies, guidance on how to conduct additional research or find supplemental materials that offer explanations on how to approach or perform the required homework, investigations, analysis, and so forth, on one or more subjects.
I have tutored students for the TEAS exam and helped them improve their scores significantly so that they were either admitted to nursing school, or were able to go back to finish their final semester of schooling.
The math and verbal components of this exam are very similar to the ASVAB, SAT, and PSAT exams - all of which I have significant and successful experience with independently and through WyzAnt.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Hi! I've been playing tennis for 30 years and have won many tournaments and trophies. I taught tennis at a camp in Maine one summer and would love to work with beginning and intermediate students, particularly adults.
Great Tutoring Website and Tutor — I highly recommend WyzAnt Tutoring and, especially, my tutor, Colleen McGrath, who was an awesome tutor!. One of the areas Colleen specializes in is test preparation including the ASVAB exam, which is the test needed for Military Service. She dedicated herself to understanding what was required for the test and even took it upon herself to place calls to a few Coast Guard recruiting sites to en ...
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Usually responds in about 4 hours
Send Colleen a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Colleen or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.