Although I am not a contestant on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", let me nevertheless ask the audience on this one...
I want to know what makes a tutor more appealing (besides the profile picture). Is it affordability? Is it flexibility in hours? Is it number of years experience in tutoring a particular subject? Is it the ratings given to the tutor by students? Is it age?
Please give me an idea of what I can do for you. Although I am new to this tutoring site, I really want to build more relationships with students who seek assistance in math and other subjects. Your feedback will not only help me cater to these responses, but it may also assist other tutors.
Personally, I have noticed a variety of experience from other tutors, various rates, and a spectrum of ages. Some tutors seem quite qualified, yet they could be "selling themselves short" by only charging $25/hr for their services (and with their patience and charisma seem to be "worth" more).
Here are some ideas for making myself a more competitive tutor:
1. Hosting a 2 hour first-session for the price of 1 hour (with promise of more sessions to follow). This would be like a "trial period" to make sure we were a "fit".
2. Promising extra "outside work" like creating study guides for students between sessions for extra practice (free of charge).
3. Arranging an hourly rate decrease provided students recruit other prospective students to the WyzAnt site.
4. Arranging an hourly rate decrease provided students recruit other prospective tutors to the WyzAnt site.
5. Giving a "free hour" after a certain number of sessions with the student (for instance "buy 10, get the 11th free")
These are just a few ideas. If you have others, or like the ones I provided, please share!!
Thanks for your input everyone.