Nadira S. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Nadira, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
As one of my students, you will develop a solid technical foundation. You will also receive exposure to all genres of music to encourage you to develop your own direction for your future of violin-playing. I will ask you, What do you want to do with your instrument? Then I will guide you in exploring the endless possibilities. Your ears will be opened, your inner-musician will be inspired, and you will learn to play well.
What you get during your lessons:
1. Technical Foundation. During the first few months of studying violin we will establish proper posture, left-hand-positioning, bow-hold / bowing, and sense of pitch. Through physical and visual exercises, you will develop new motor skills applicable to proper violin-playing. You will also be exposed to the world-renowned Suzuki Violin Method. Other methods of learning will also be incorporated to help you blossom into a well-rounded player.
2. Practice Requirements. Students will be given at-home practice assignments each week based on the subjects covered in the lesson. They will not be given a number of minutes per day to practice (this method can lack structure and may not achieve any particular goal); rather, the focus will be on completing a certain number of repetitions of each assigned exercise or song.
3. Music Reading. Music-reading will not be delayed. Throughout each lesson, I will gradually introduce core elements necessary to understand the languange of music theory. Before you know it, you will be reading music.
4. Musicality &amp; Style. Do you love listening to Jazz, Latin, Gospel, Hip Hop, Country, or Rock? Do you have a favorite song you would like to play on the violin? Once you have been adequately immersed in proper technique, you will be encouraged to explore the world of music through playing contemporary tunes of your choice. Not only will this exposure broaden your musical horizons, but we will also enjoy some fun teacher-student jam sessions together!
5. Ear Training. From time to time, let's set aside the music books and have some fun! So much can be learned through listening and playing by ear. Many musicians either read music OR play by ear. I am convinced, with proper encouragement, every student can do BOTH!
I started taking piano at the age of 5, and studied non-stop with a private teacher until the age of 18. I learned a solid classical repertoire, and was accepted into several colleges in Missouri to study the instrument. However, I decided to pursue a different major, always having a love and talent for the piano. I love teaching beginning and intermediate piano and music theory using the Alfred's Music Publishing course. I have a natural ability to explain piano concepts, posture, musicality and theory to all of my piano students. I am looking to add more piano students, as I mainly teach violin currently.
Over 20 years of music and violin experience enables Nadira to provide an invaluable learning environment to all of her students. Whether you desire to become a performing violinist, or if you want to learn just for fun, Nadira can show you how to achieve your goals in violin-playing.
Nadira began playing the violin in the 3rd grade in a Suzuki program administered by her public school. With raw talent and deep interest in the violin, she progressed quite quickly and in the 6th grade, began studying with a private teacher. Once the private lessons began, her skills took flight, and she began to receive and enjoy principal 1st violin positions in her school and community orchestras. As only a freshman in high school, Nadira was accepted to the St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra, in which she played under the direction of Kirk Muspratt, David Loebel, and Leonard Slatkin. She also was a four-time member of the annual Missouri All-State Orchestra for High School Students. She regularly performed in competitions, concerts, and other shows, playing concertos and pieces written by composers such as Mozart, Bruch and Mendelssohn.
While earning her Bachelor of Science degree at Northwestern University, Nadira had the honor of playing with the Northwestern Philharmonia, as well as receiving private instruction from graduate students.
In addition to many years of classical training, Nadira has recent and consistent experience in playing live music. She performs as the violinist for up-and-coming contemporary artists and Christian bands. She has also spent time in the studio recording string arrangements on several vocal projects. Playing at weddings, church and teaching violin lessons are Nadira's favorite vehicles through which she can utilize her God-given gift to inspire and touch the hearts of others.
So, why the violin? Nadira believes in the healing elements of music. In particular, the soothing and expressive timbre of the violin consistently earns its ranking as a favorite among music-listeners who seek respite and healing from life's trials. Therefore, it is an honor and blessing for her to pass on her expertise in this instrument to others through teaching music.
In addition to the experience described above, Nadira's credentials in working with children include:
•2 years teaching Suzuki curriculum to elementary-schoolers
•Northwestern University Bachelor of Science in Human Communication Sciences (heavy focus on the clinical treatment of children in the areas of Learning Disabilites, Audiology and Speech Pathology)
•3 years teaching Children's Church from Pre-K thru 5th grade
•Former volunteer at Children's Hospital Los Angeles Emergency Room
•Short-term missionary to Thailand, teaching Bible lessons and playing violin for many orphanages and communities in the Chiang Mai area
•Auntie to 22 nieces and nephews.
Nadira’s lessons include the following:
1. Violin-hold and Bow-hold technique
2. Left-Hand / Right-Hand Coordination
3. Ear Training
4. Individualized Weekly Lesson Plans
5. Motivating Practice Guides
6. Pitch, Tone, and Rhythm drills
7. Help with school orchestra music
9. Tips for auditioning, taking care of the instrument, practicing, and any of your specific questions and concerns.
If you are looking for a unique and exciting way to learn to play the violin, Nadira’s lessons will be the perfect learning experience for you!
"I have never experienced someone captivate an audience quite like Nadira does when she plays her violin."
- Trey Fernald, Artistic Director of Eastern Sky Theatre Company
Great! — My daughter loves her! This is our second teacher and she is great! We love her but her price is higher so if you can afford it do it. She also will do 1/2 hour. ...
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Send Nadira a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Nadira or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.