Welcome to Alec's Chess
Club! I love chess and the opportunity to teach the game to kids. I first learned how to play chess at the age of 12 and I have been playing it ever since. I have been teaching chess lessons for 10 years to children from Ages 4 to 17. I am passionate about what I do. The kids in my classes have fun at the same time as they learn. I believe that both are possible...and necessary for the highest level of growth.
My goals are:
1) To provide a SAFE place for kids to have fun with their peers while learning to use their minds constructively.
2) To help kids grow from beginners and take their skills as far as they want to go!
3) To help kids know they are valuable and worthwhile.
4) To help kids grow in their self-confidence in themselves.
5) To help kids learn fundamental life skills that will be transferable to ANYTHING they decide to pursue in their lives.
6) To help kids foster not only a love but a respect for both the game and also a respect for their peers.
To me, chess is much more than just a "game". It is an OPPORTUNITY to help children grow into well-rounded individuals who are far more prepared for their adult lives than their peers who have not had this experience.
I look forward to meeting you! - Alec
Testimonial for Alec’s Chess Club!
My son, Christopher, has been taking chess lessons with Alec for over a year now. During that time I have seen my son's chess skills increase. But, more importantly, Alec has created an environment where chess is fun and interesting. This is an environment in which my, normally quiet, son finds himself at home.
Alec is easy going but does not permit any nonsense. Alec has a wonderful way of keeping a group of children focused on the task at hand without ever making a sharp comment or raising his voice. His focus is always on the positive, ever encouraging often making thoughtful suggestions.
I am grateful that my child is a part of Alec's chess program and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a child interested in the game of chess.
24 hours notice required
I charge $30 if at my home and $40 if at yours. I am also willing to teach more than one student at no extra charge.
Travels within 10 miles of Valley Village, CA 91607