I have been tutoring all levels of Math for the past 10 years, from Algebra through college Calculus. I believe that establishing a good foundation in Mathematics is critical for a student’s future success and confidence – in high school, in college and beyond in their careers. And I believe every student has the potential to be successful with Math. I can help by explaining Math concepts in simple ways the student can understand and remember. And I do so in a positive, patient and encouraging manner.
I am a graduate of Stanford and Harvard. While I studied engineering and business, I have enjoyed Math since grade school when I was selected for experimental programs in Symbolic Logic and a new form of Algebra.
My Philosophy is that mathematics provides a critical foundation for other learning. Young people can grasp advanced concepts early on. Creative approaches to Mathematics education that work well for gifted students can help students of all levels and backgrounds succeed in Math. Each student is special and unique, and deserves a tailored approach.
I have had the privilege of working with students as young as 6, as well as students in middle school and high school. As a result of my tutoring my students have excelled in the following ways:
- Finishing 7th grade Pre-Algebra as young as 8.
- Completing Honors Precalculus as young as 11.
- Earning A+100% in Geometry at Stanford's highly rigorous Online High School.
- Earning the highest grades in class for Calculus 1 and 2.
- Taking Calculus 5 at age 14 at junior college while concurrently enrolled in high school.
- I am especially proud that some of the students mentioned above did not start out believing they were “good at Math.”
Gifted and Struggling Have Something in Common. I have found that those who want to go very high and those who are struggling to keep up are actually very similar in this: both need concepts made clear and simple -- to grasp and build upon.
- In-depth knowledge of computer-based instruction.
- Detailed familiarity with respected curricula.
- Researched and sought out highly effective and innovative approaches.
- Successful with public, private and home-schooled students.
Before tutoring, I had a career in international business during which I also served on the side as trainer and consultant. I enjoy helping others learn -- whether it be to grasp new concepts or to relearn something that previously had been difficult. One of my greatest interests and joys is helping students achieve their goals in learning.
I look forward to helping you or your student succeed!
back to top