Joanne K. passed a background check on 8/20/14. The check was ordered by another user through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Joanne, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
I have been tutoring for more than 12 years and have worked with students ages 5 to 75 in Math (up to pre-calculus), English (reading, writing, ESL), and test prep (SAT I & II).
My greatest qualities and strengths as a tutor are empathy, patience and gentleness. I can accommodate to a diverse group of people and tap into their personal strengths. I can help students feel SAFE to be fully themselves and to learn from their mistakes.
Since students' self-confidence and personal interests are just as essential for their growth, I place a heavy emphasis on boosting self-esteem and using different means of motivation.
My goal is to help students UNDERSTAND the material rather than simply memorize relevant information. I emphasize skills that are useful in life, not simply in academics.
In terms of academic qualifications, I have gotten 800 on both SAT I and II for Math. My AP scores have been: Physics C (4), Calculus BC (5), US History (5), Chemistry (5), US Government (5), and Economics (4).
You are welcome to ask for a resume!
a) Utilize various ways to engage students in learning:
- Identify and teach at the students' pace and with their primary method of learning (imaginative, analytic, practical, dynamic, auditory, visual, tactile/kinesthetic).
- Integrate games or other activities, using the students' interests or experiences to explain concepts in ways easier to understand.
b) Develop and strengthen critical thinking:
- Use the Socratic method of teaching - rather than simply providing answers, stimulate students to think critically and draw out their own unique ideas by asking questions such as, "So what?"
c) Improve the students' self-esteem and confidence:
- Discover and foster the natural strengths that students already possess (and intervene to prevent thoughts that reinforce negative self-image) to create a positive emotional and mental (internal) environment conducive to effective learning and development, as low self-esteem ravages many students' ability to learn and perform tasks.
d) Engage parents to partake in their child's learning process:
- Discuss the student's performance with his/her parents after each lesson and suggest ways in which they can actively create a favorable (external) environment.
I directed an after school program for students from grades K-9 and have done private tutoring in homework and remedial work. I have worked with students of various backgrounds, age groups (ages 5 to 75), and subjects, including math, English, social science, reading comprehension, writing, and ESL.
I have worked mostly with students from Korea, but have also worked with students from other backgrounds as well. My experience in working with non-native speakers have shaped most of my teaching methods, i.e. identifying what the student does know and using language they understand and the pace most comfortable for them to learn new information.
I have worked with students of various ages and levels in helping them to identify useful ways of interpreting and organizing information. I have worked in math, English, essay writing, SAT prep, vocab, science and history, and most if not all the students I've had have noted that it has helped them noticeably. I use flash cards, study sheets and useful tricks and observation skills to aid students with critical reading and logic-related subjects.
Great Tutor!!! — Joanne is a great tutor who explains thoroughly to my daughter in a step by step method! I could not be more pleased and I can tell the difference in my daughter's confidence. Working with Joanne has taken the stress out of homework and my daughter's grades are improving. ...
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Usually responds in about 2 hours
Send Joanne a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Joanne or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.