Vince K. passed a background check on 2/21/13. The check was ordered by Vince through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Vince, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
Hi! I’m Vince. I grew up in Connecticut and completed the honors program at Boston College, graduating with a B.A. in English Literature. After living in Boston for many years, it eventually dawned on me that life would be much better without wet, cold, five-month-long winters. I moved to San Diego in 2007 and I now live in the Kensington neighborhood.
I’ve always known I was good at taking tests, but until I moved here, I had never thought of teaching them professionally. After I started working as a test-prep tutor for McElroy Tutoring and saw that people like Brian McElroy had made careers out of tutoring standardized tests, I realized that test-prep could be a real job. Plus, I found that I really enjoyed helping people master tests.
So, since 2008, I’ve been working full-time as a tutor and admissions essay coach. I also teach a GRE prep class at UCSD Extension. Along the way, I’ve written several books to help people learn about those tests. I’m an expert on the material (169V 166Q GRE), but I think that my coaching style is more important. I combine a rigorous approach to learning the foundational skills and techniques necessary for mastery with friendliness, patience, and adaptability. Also, I continually work on getting better at what I do. I enjoy hearing about my students’ successes and I have a genuine desire to see them do well. If you’re smart, hardworking, and self-motivated, I’d love to work with you.
Most of my clients live in the San Diego, CA area, but I’ve also worked with students in other parts of the country and internationally via Skype. My office is in the UTC area of San Diego at 4445 Eastgate Mall, Suite 200.
In addition to tutoring, I support a couple of causes: Promises2Kids – which helps foster youth pursue higher education – and Y.A.L.L.A., which helps refugee children. In my spare time, I like running (short distances), reading The Economist, watching (and sometimes doing) improv comedy, and rooting for the Red Sox and Patriots.
I offer only one thing via Wyzant: GRE prep. Here's an overview of how I see it all working:
1. Baseline. First, let’s figure out where you’re starting from. To obtain a real score, a student must complete an official practice test, timed strictly.
2. Goals. You’ve gotta want it. Also, it really helps to know exactly what “it” is so we have a target.
3. Foundation. My scintillating advice will only take you so far without conceptual knowledge. Once I show you how to build foundational skills, I hope you’ll do so consistently on your own to save time.
4. Technique. I teach specific, step-by-step techniques for all the questions you’ll face on the real test. I also teach test-taking and time management technique.
5. Practice. Once you know what you’re doing, you’re ready to practice – using authentic practice material (i.e., material written by the test’s publisher).
6. Review. Once you leave my office, your work has just begun. Analyzing, re-doing, and explaining previously done questions will make you much better at answering new ones when you see them.
Great tutor! — I am applying to graduate programs in December, so I took the GRE in August. Although I scored well in verbal and analytical writing, my quantitative score was a painful 49th percentile, below the schools' minimum requirements. I saw Vince for 5 sessions. Over the month, I learned a lot about myself as a test-taker. Although my math knowledge improved through the process, my primary problem was no ...
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Send Vince a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Vince or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.