Loyd A. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Loyd, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
I have been an instructor and professor, teaching academic and non-academic classes since 1981 -- but more than that, I've been a professional public speaker/lecturer since the early 80s, experience which includes guest lecturing at colleges around the US. I have been a corporate trainer/presenter between 1984 and 2006. I have lectured and presented to audiences as large as 2500 (though the average has been much smaller). I am an author with 8 published books, so I'm often asked to speak.
Since the late 1980s, I have also worked as a public speaking/presentation skills and media coach for authors and businesspeople since the late 1980s, also conducting occasional seminars for groups. I taught a course at John F. Kennedy University that included a segment on Public Speaking between 1989 and 2006, and continue to teach a version of that course that includes Media Skills (the art of being a good interview subject). I was featured as an “expert” in Public Speaking for Dummies by Malcolm Kushner (IDG Books, 1999; John Wiley & Sons 2004), and was Technical Editor for the last two editions of that book.
I also have a performing background, first as a professional magician (1980s-1990) and subsequently/currently as a mentalist/psychic entertainer. I have sometimes included the use of magic tricks in my presentations training, on request of the clients.
I have extensive experience with the media: hundreds of TV appearances (local and national) and my other media appearances (radio, internet podcasts, and print) number in the thousands.
My methods of training/tutoring for public speaking is total interaction, practice and critique -- I first teach students how to do self-critique from video, and more importantly how to actually listen to themselves while speaking to self-correct. Any critique I do is totally based on positive reinforcement of good skills to overcome any bad habits. I try to make any and all exercises fun for students (because when they have fun, they speak with greater confidence) and use more than a little humor (but not comedy).
Part of the training/tutoring is also directed at helping them create good presentations, when students ask for this of course.
Finally, I work with students to overcome any fears they might have about speaking in public. This is definitely an issue for many people -- most surveys show "Fear of Public Speaking" is ahead of even the "Fear of Death."
All in all, my method is to get the students most comfortable with being themselves when speaking in public, enhancing their own personalities to get their points across in communication.
My experience in Public Speaking:
* Teaching non-credit, adult ed, undergraduate and graduate level courses since 1981 (John F. Kennedy University since 1983) on a variety of subjects.
* I have taught a communications course at JFK University since 1989, covering Public Speaking, Media Skills, and Getting Published (Public Speaking dropped from course in 2005).
* Conducted Public Speaking seminars for several companies in the 1980s and 1990s, as well as for groups of authors. Also coached individual authors in public speaking and media skills since the mid 1980s. On several occasions, worked with Speakers World teaching/assisting in their seminars (a San Francisco speaker/coaching company, no longer in business).
* I am featured as an “expert” in Public Speaking for Dummies by Malcolm Kushner (IDG Books, 1999; John Wiley & Sons 2004), and was Technical Editor for the last two editions of that book.
* Professional speaker on the college circuit since 1989, with occasional paid corporate lectures.
* Lectured frequently on the subject of Parapsychology to non-profit groups and a variety of service organizations since 1981.
* Since 2007, present frequently on the subject of Chocolate (I conduct guided chocolate tasting presentations).
* Corporate trainer/presenter for LexisNexis, 1984 to 2006. Part of job was to work with account representatives to hone their presentation skills.
* Professional magician 1981 to 1990, then switched to psychic entertainment, performing as a professional mentalist since 1991. Performed for corporate, college, comedy club and private party audiences.
* Coached several corporate executives in incorporating magic effects in their presentations.
* I have appeared on hundreds of TV talk and news shows, including THE VIEW, OPRAH, LARRY KING LIVE, THE TODAY SHOW, UNSOLVED MYSTERIES, and numerous shows on A&E, Travel Channel, Discovery Channel, BIO, TLC and other cable networks. I've been interviewed on literally thousands of radio and internet podcast shows over the years.
While I did take several writing classes in college, it is mainly my experience as a published author and work on training materials over the years that gives me some expertise for tutoring.
Highlights of my experience:
* Author of 7 published books since 1986, and co-author of an 8th (2011).
* Contributor to several non-fiction anthologies/collections
* Columnist and feature writer for a national magazine between 1991 and 2004
* Wrote and edited training materials for LexisNexis, mainly from the late 1980s through 2006.
* Taught a course at John F. Kennedy University that has included a section on "Getting Published," with a focus on writing good book proposals and query letters.
* Over the years, I have helped individual authors with their book proposals and with their publicity materials.
* I've written my own publicity materials since the early 1980s, and written press materials for several organizations.
John F. Kennedy University (Parapsychology) (Master's)
Standard Hourly Fee: $70.00
Cancellation: 24 hours notice required
Loyd will travel within 40 miles of Martinez, CA 94553.
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Usually responds in about 17 hours
Send Loyd a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Loyd or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.