Send Jillian a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Jillian or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
University of Delaware (English)
Hi everyone! My name is Jillian and I'm looking to continue my work as a tutor in the Los Angeles area. I have an insatiable passion for teaching and tutoring and would really love the opportunity to continue doing just that. I'm smart, friendly and always have a smile on my face. To give you a better idea about who I am, I have listed a brief background of my education and past experience working with children in an educational environment.
Education: I'm graduate from the University of Delaware. I know that sounds far away, but it's an incredible school with a great academic reputation. My main focus was on English and Women's Studies but I'm capable of teaching many other academic subjects for the elementary grades and through middle school as well. Below is an overview of my education:
University of Delaware, Newark, DE
Bachelor of Arts. Major: English Minor: Women’s Studies
Studied Abroad: Ireland, summer 2006
• Coursework in Writing in the Professions & Technical Editing
• Coursework in Leadership, Integrity & Change
Experience: I have spent many summers abroad teaching children all over the world the English language. I absolutely love what I do. I have worked with kids with all different styles of learning. Some people, like myself, are visual learners. Others have no problem just listening and applying concepts that they've understood verbally. I can easily adapt to any child's learning style. I have the patience, enthusiasm and understanding that it takes to be a kind but firm tutor. Below I have listed my experience in bullet form.
Cognitive Development Academy, Los Angeles, CA
December 2008 – February 2009
• Kindergarten Teacher for an after school program
• Creating and implementing a solid curriculum for the students
• Primary focus on Mathematics and English
• Assigning homework and projects to be completed outside of the classroom
Downes Elementary School Instructor, Newark, DE
November 2005 – May 2008
• Physical fitness and health educator
• Gymnastics instructor for children ages 3-14
Ibni School for Street Children, Rabat, Morocco
• Worked for non-profit organization teaching homeless children the basics of the English language
• Elementary school teacher
• Drafted and implemented unique curriculum for the students with learning disabilities.
• Often worked one-on-one with special education students
Personal Tutoring, Newark, DE
October 2006-May 2007
• Created lesson plans geared towards specific level of learning
• Covered all aspects of the English language, including grammar and pronunciation
• Assigned challenging homework to be completed before next session
• Worked in small groups as well as individually with students
Other than that, I have just thrown in a few "miscellaneous skills" and other activities that I've involved myself with of the course of the years.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Thorough attention to detail
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
Honors & Activities:
• Taught the English language to children in Rabat, Morocco
• Worked with children in Tortola, B.V.I. on grammar usage and pronunciation
• Nominated for and joined the Sinai Scholar Society ‘06
• Alumni member of the Sigma Kappa sorority
• Former Vice President for NY and NJ B’nai B’rith Youth Organization
I hope that I have given you a pretty good idea about who I am and what I am all about. I hope that you'll consider me to be a tutor for you or for your children! Looking forward to speaking with you. Best of luck in your search!
Jillian Hi everyone! My name is Jillian and I'm looking to continue my work as a tutor in the Los Angeles area. I have an insatiable passion for teaching and tutoring and would really love the opportunity to continue doing just that. I'm smart, friendly and always have a smile on my face. To give you a better idea about who I am, I have listed a brief… Read more
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
Since I am currently working as an after-school kindergarten teacher, and have a Bachelors degree from a four year accredited university, I know that teaching grades K-6 would be something that I could competantly do. I truly enjoy working with children and have several years of experience doing just that. All through college I worked as a gymnastics instructor at Downes Elementary School, teaching physical fitness and health to children ages 4-11 years old. I have also worked as a private tutor to middle school children in groups as large as 4-5 and as small as one-on-one. Teaching is a passion of mine and I know that patience and understanding are crucial aspects of getting through to children of all ages. I have worked with elementary school students outside of the U.S. borders as well. I spent my summer months teaching elementary school students in Rabat, Morocco and absolutely loved my job. I'd really like to have the same opportunity to do that here in Los Angeles as well.
Jillian M. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Jillian, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.