Fawzia T. has not yet had a background check. After sending a message to Fawzia, you will be able to order a background check for $7.99. The check will be processed by First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.
I am a retired psychiatrist, journalist, and educator with an extensive international experience. After having brought not only my seven children but also numerous students to the joy of knowledge for knowledge's sake, I wish to share some of my experience with students who might feel lost.
I believe all children are born gifted. Traditional education stunts and sometimes kills a child's inborn curiosity and love of learning. A teacher is not a walking encyclopedia (even if you might think so) but more of a "child whisperer" who will lead the horse to water.
Although I can pretty much tutor any subject at any level K-12, I prefer teaching English (all aspects, including writing, grammar, and literature), Math, and Watercolor. I am also able to teach Chinese (Mandarin) up to intermediate level, Arabic (beginner level) and French (up to advanced and literature level). I can also teach piano and voice.
Though I prefer teaching you to understand and master a particular subject, I can also prepare you for standardized tests.
For those of you who have heard of it, I also teach Mental Abacus, Singapore Math, and can coach you in character development.
I hope we can work together!
I used to own and direct Pax Academy, a school and a learning center. For the after school center, I designed and implemented 5-week courses for high school students who intended to take or re-take the ACT. I helped them identify their individual weaknesses and inefficient test-taking processes, then remedy these with appropriate strategies. Every single student improved his/her test score after the course.
- I pioneered the integration of E.nopi Math (testing for gaps and remedial supplementation) in Pax Academy (2011-12)
- I pioneered the integration of Singapore Math with Mental Abacus in ACA, Aim High Institute and Pax Academy (2006-2012). I also very successfully pioneered the implementation of mental abacus in PreK (all 4-year-olds were able to add and subtract 10 numbers of one digit mentally in seconds).
- I trained parents of PreK-12 students in how to coach and help their children at home with Mental Abacus.
- I implemented Singapore Math in Arizona Cultural Academy, thus raising standardized test scores across K-12 (2002-2007.)
- I presented workshops on Singapore Math, and comparative math workshops (vs. Saxon Math) at Arizona Families for Home Education, Covenant Homeschool Resources, North Central Association, and Education Forum (Islamic Society of North America).
- I tutored math students at all levels (K-12)from 1985-present. My strength lies in identifying students' weaknesses and gaps in skills and concepts, then remedying these.
Growing up around the world and attending local schools wherever my father was transferred to made me a second language learner throughout my childhood and youth. This now allows me to understand the frustrations and special needs of ELL's (English Language Learners).
Although my original major was Medicine and Surgery, I did take a course on Teaching Methodology of English as a Foreign Language back in 1979. Since then, I have had the opportunity to teach many children (K through 12 or more) and move them from an ELL status to native ability in the English language. Throughout my educational career, I was able to help many first or second generation immigrant students in the schools where I was principal. I am proud to see them today continuously entering colleges with merit-based scholarships, and graduating not only as engineers, doctors, and lawyers, but also as journalists, writers, international relations experts, and so on.
I have taught grammar for many years. I have developed a methodology based on the old European tradition of parsing words. This is much more active than the current use of worksheets, which reduced students to robots who will still not be able to apply the rules learned. Students have improved their use of grammar immensely after using my method.
I always loved art as a child. I earned an A on the GCE O level Art at age 16. Then later in life, picked it up again. I have been exhibited at the West Valley Art Museum (Sun City West, AZ) and the Art Institute of Phoenix. I also taught art in the schools where I have been principal, and entered my students in multiple art competitions. I am proud of them since many won various awards. At the Student Art Competition of the AZ State Fair in October 2012, my students won 28 awards. (7 awards in 2004, 6 awards in 2005, 12 awards in 2006.) Other awards include AZ finalist for the International Child Art Olympiad in 2011 and 2007; silver medalist for senior portfolio, National Scholastic Art & Writing Award, 2006; various ribbons at the Asian Festival (AZ) 2005 & 2006. Last fall, the Arizona Commission for the Arts requested photographs of my students' work to be used on their marketing materials!
I particularly specialize in teaching watercolor. I can submit sample student work upon request.
- Trained in Spalding I and Spalding II.
- Taught English Literature and Language Arts to grades 1-12.
- Tutored students struggling in reading and/or writing at all grade levels, including ELLs.
- Developed a system of teaching grammar actively (based on parsing).
- Trained teachers in the implementation of the Spalding method. Trained trainers in the training of the Spalding method.
- Trained students in reading fluency and expression.
- Writer, journalist, newsletter editor, and columnist for various publications since 1977 (Jordan Times, Arab News, Xin Shen Pao, Middle East Health, Islam in China, Arizona Muslim Voice, Al Mashreq Newspaper, Pakistan West, AZ Chinese News, the CAIR AZ newsletter, the Pax Academy newsletter, etc.)
I have helped my own seven children as well as students by the dozens over the past 30 years or so with their study skills. My background in psychiatry helps me diagnose any psychological factors such as fear of classical literature to simpler problems such as lack of time or place organizational skills. On the other hand, my background in science allows me to help the students categorize and chart information, make up mnemonics, and so on.
Through my career as an educator, I have developed in pedagogy and learning various methods and adopted others. For instance, I show students how to use Spaced Learning to memorize information easily and painlessly. This is especially useful for subject matters that involve a lot of memorization such as foreign language or biology.
I view each child as a unique combination of innate abilities and acquired knowledge base.
Your first hour with any tutor is protected by our Good Fit Guarantee: You don’t pay for tutoring unless you find a good fit!
Usually responds in about 14 hours
Send Fawzia a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Fawzia or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If selected, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.