Send Mary a message explaining your needs and you will receive a response by email. Have you already emailed Mary or another tutor? If so, you have an account! Sign in now
If you select this option, WyzAnt will ask interested tutors to contact you by email if they are able to help. A maximum of five different tutors will email you and none of your personal information, including your email address, will be released.
University of Texas, Austin (Nutrition)
Arizona State University - B.S. Computer Science (Other)
With my patient, confidential and caring manner, I will help the student master the subject matter. I expeditiously pinpoint knowledge gaps and the student's learning style to help the student succeed as soon as possible. I have enjoyed working with students for many years as a tutor, coach, project judge, school board director and booster club president. My students and I have fun and learn a lot. I understand the rigors of sports and AP classes having been an athlete and honor student myself. I am bilingual in Spanish. Si usted o su niño necesita lecciones de matemáticas o ciencias en español, yo puedo ayudarle.
Online classes feature interactive digital whiteboards, document sharing, live interactive editing, session recording, audio and video capabilities.
PLEASE NOTE: I wish to provide a safe and quiet location for both student and tutor. As such, I will only train at public and private classroom or conference locations such as libraries, coffee shops, business offices and community centers.
In the past 9 years, my experience includes serving as college senior project judge, regional project judge, board director for 2 academically acclaimed schools, founder and manager of a local professional group and high school sports booster club president. Specifically, I have tutored, trained or coached:
* High school and college students in Chemistry, Algebra, Spanish and study skills
* Summer camp students ages 7-17 in web design, animation and game design
* College students in Computer Science
* Adults in Spanish Immersion class
* Adults in Career Development, Job Search skills, Social Media and Marketing training sessions
* 6th through 8th graders in math, Odyssey of the Mind and Future City projects
(Odyssey of the Mind elementary through college students apply technical, creative, strategic and trade skills to create a technical project and presentation. Future City students apply technical, presentation and creative skills to create an urban development project).
Subject Matter Expertise:
* Spanish - Now offering SPANISH IMMERSION CLASSES. I excelled in fourth year Spanish class which required reading Spanish literature and writing essays. I won a state Spanish poem recitation contest and subsequently tested out of 24 hours of Spanish with a grade of 'A' at a major U.S. University. I have been bilingual since I was 4 years old. En español: Avanzado pasado del cuarto año de español que requiere leer literatura española y escribir ensayos, gané un concurso de recitación en español de poema y tomé examen para avanzar pasado de 24 horas de cursos en español en una Universidad principal. He sido bilingüe desde los 4 años de edad. Si necesita instrucción en matemáticas o ciencias en español, comuníquese conmigo para lecciones.
* Algebra - I have always excelled in Math. As a computer science student, I advanced past Calculus.
* Chemistry - I like to solve equations and help students understand Chemistry. I aced my Organic Chemistry final in college.
* Computer Science - I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science and was employed as a software developer and team lead for 17 years. I developed and tested many commercially available communications software products. I diagnose software logically and have an affinity to document solutions and explain difficult concepts to technical and non-technical staff. I was directly involved in troubleshooting software for hundreds of sites without losing a single account. I have conducted technical due diligence on IP products pending corporate purchase.
* Career Development, Job Search and Presentation skills - As a recruiter, I conducted numerous on-campus and off-site interviews. I presented workshops on job search and social media. I also served as a panelist for a statewide college career services conference. I have written articles on career, job search and social media topics. I have coached prospective job candidates on career development, interviewing and presentation skills.
* Social Media, Social Networking and Internet Marketing - Want to sell goods and services and promote your products online without hiring a programmer to build and maintain custom websites? I can show you how to integrate PayPal, social sharing, affiliate marketing, and use template sites to ramp up your internet sales. I have built successful social networks, web sites and e-commerce interfaces. With my patient, confidential and caring manner, I will help the student master the subject matter. I expeditiously pinpoint knowledge gaps and the student's learning style to help the student succeed as soon as possible. I have enjoyed working with students for many years as a tutor, coach, project judge, school board director and booster club… Read more
1st hour is $10.* Group rate: $75/hour for up to 3 students. * Offer applies to a new student lesson with at least 48 hour's notice and does not apply to groups. Additional hours at the posted rate.
After the tutoring session my son told Mary he wished she was his physics teacher! She did a great job explaining the concepts and was patient with questions. You know it's a success when the "lightbulb turns on" in your child's eyes! I would highly recommend her!
Mary is very nice and caring, I appreciate the time she takes and she goes out of her way to make my kid understand math and chemistry. I would 100% recommend her to anyone.
Mary has helped my daughter so much in CP Chemistry, and she has also helped her increase her ACT score. I would highly recommend her.
I was nervous about today's lesson. I scheduled it during the last week of school at the end of one of the last full days. My 2 kids were tired and not exactly thrilled about a tutor. I relaxed after she arrived and I heard them laughing as they worked. After Mary left, the kids looked at me and said, "Can she stay longer next time?" They loved it! The said it was so much more fun than any other Spanish class or camp they have ever taken. They were so happy that they were not just sitting down the whole time. It was interactive and they were finally able to start putting together everything else they had learned. Thank you!!
We are really enjoying our Spanish tutor, Mary. She is great. We have had a very positive experience from finding a tutor through your website to actually starting our lessons. Mary is engaging and fun to work with. My husband and I are doing our lessons together and she works well with both of us.
It is a pleasure knowing you both and watching you enthusiastically embrace the Spanish immersion class. The best part is that it is a blast to speak Spanish with you. Thank you!
Mary has provided the kind of tutoring a parent could only hope for with an academically struggling child! Mary was quick to assess my daughter's learning style and has instantly made a profound difference in her Chemistry and Spanish classes!
My daughter is now experiencing success that breeds confidence and a willingness to excel. Last week my daughter scored a 95% on her Chemistry Exam in the short time Mary has been working with her!
Mary is delightful, prompt and a joy to be around, her positive attitude is infectious, my daughter looks forward to her sessions and school work with a new found enthusiasm!
Thank You Mary!
Hello Mary - Ounce again your teaching techniques have bridged the gap from the classroom to my daughter's understanding and mastery of Chemistry! She recently scored 96% on on her Chemistry Exam - the highest in her class!
Thank you ounce again as the compelling force behind her success in a class she was failing just a short time ago!
Thank you! It is a great honor to positively influence a student. It also a privilege to tutor your daughter and see her make great strides towards her future career. Her desire to learn and work towards her goals is key to her success.
Mary is genuine and professional. She knows Spanish very well. I could tell our student felt comfortable and encouraged after the very first lesson. She was interested in when exams are given and in what format they are given. We look forward to more lessons with Mary.
It makes me smile to see him really enjoy learning Spanish. His pronunciation and vocabulary is exceptional for a first year student. It is a tribute to you and his father that he is kind, well-mannered and a pleasure to teach. I hope that he will someday visit a Spanish speaking country and be enriched by people and the culture because he reads, writes and speaks the language.
In most cases, tutors gain approval in a subject by passing a proficiency exam. For some subject areas, like music and art, tutors submit written requests to demonstrate their proficiency to potential students. If a tutor is interested but not yet approved in a subject, the subject will appear in non-bold font. Tutors need to be approved in a subject prior to beginning lessons.
I have extensive knowledge of the subject matter tested in the ACT math section, which includes geometry, algebra and trigonometry. I have successfully tutored students in all these subjects. I also have current experience preparing students for the math portion of the ACT. I firmly believe that proficient math skills are essential in all careers from retail to medicine.
I am able to provide assistance with linear equations and inequalities, graphs; systems of equations, functional notation, graphs, and data tables; operations on polynomials; properties of exponents; applications.
I will teach you to:
* solve systems of equations with complex numbers,
* determine feasible regions,
* graph parabolic equations,
* solve logarithms,
* principles of statistics and probability,
* setup and solve matrices and more.
I have over 10 years’ experience as a C software developer. I enjoy teaching design, data structures and programming concepts. I have served as a technical lead and as such mentored professionals through the process of developing successful commercial products and applications. We will touch upon the major aspects of C programming - such as data abstraction, pointers, arrays, loops, syntax, user defined classes, pointer indexing and use of standard libraries and I/O streams. You will need access to a compiler and linker so you may test your programs (preferably a development platform such as Visual C).
I have over 8 years’ experience as a C++ software developer. I have mentored professionals through the process of developing successful commercial products and applications. C++ introduces the concepts of data abstraction, inheritance, type coercion overloading and object-oriented programming. Learn the fundamentals of object oriented design. Define classes, instantiate objects, Learn about inheritance, overloading, type casting, I/O streams, constructors, pointer manipulation, loops, syntax, and more. You will need access to a compiler and linker so you may test your programs (preferably a development platform such as Visual C++).
I have developed numerous presentation and workshop materials to assist those in career transition. I have spoken at career fairs, served as a career services panelist, and judged senior business and computer science projects. I have also written articles and presentations on personal branding, social media and job search methods. Prepare to analyze your career strengths and aspirations; develop a career plan and hone your personal branding and marketing skills. We will focus upon your career development and I will assist you with your personal marketing plan.
I enjoy learning and tutoring students in Chemistry. I excelled in two years of chemistry classes in college including Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry. You will learn and practice with exercises using these concepts learned in my inorganic chemistry tutoring sessions:
* Atomic structures, atomic mass, weight and Moles.
* Conversions - namely temperature, weight, mass, volume and pressure
* Electron orbitals and how this relates to bonding
* Important Principles and formulas such as Hund's Rule, Boyle's Law, Bronsted-Lowry, Lewis, Arrhenius, and the Ideal Gas Law.
* Molecular concentration, molarity and normality
* PH principles - alkalinity and acidity
* Equilibrium, osmosis and solubility
* Effects of heat, temperature and catalysts on reactions
* Balancing equations
As a school board member and Odyssey of the Mind coach for an advanced curriculum 6th - 12th grade school, I encouraged students to learn advanced subject matter at an early age. At the elementary school age, it is important to explain difficult subjects using fun and real world examples. For example, as a substitute teacher, I taught children about the solar system and earth's revolution by asking the children to play the part of the planets themselves. I teach team building exercises and presentation skills to improve the child's confidence in themselves and the subject matter.
I have an affinity to teach difficult subject matter in easy understandable terms based on a Socratic method that quickly determines the child's interest, skill level and desire to learn. I look at the student's current work to determine his or her knowledge gaps and coaching needs. Learning proper study skills is also important at the elementary school age.
I have coached sixth grade students in technical and creative subject matter. I enjoy working with children and have a very patient and caring method of teaching. I am rated a 5 star tutor by WyzAnt students, and have tutored elementary through college students.
We will touch upon new age marketing - relationship marketing, social media and social networking. We will discuss how to build and navigate through blogs, websites, mobile apps, video, CRM and email marketing platforms. These sessions are ideal for small businesses and consultants who wish to leverage social media and social networks for personal and corporate branding. You will learn from an experienced social media marketer who has developed large networks of business professionals on major social media platforms. We will also touch upon guerilla and viral marketing strategies.
I will teach you about the specifics of programming in Pascal. As the precursor to 'C' programming language, Pascal was the first high level language that you could read and understand. Pascal introduces pointers, arrays and linked lists for data encapsulation and manipulation. You will also learn about for loops, while and if/then statements used for iterative design. Pascal also introduces the concept of recursion for those designs that require feedback loop processing.
I teach students to apply math using practical concepts which relate to common applications. For example, I coached students to apply math for problems requiring the calculation of volume for filling up a cylinder of water for a boat experiment. I will prepare you for algebra and teach you about graphing, basic factorization, calculation of area and volume, Integers, fractions, negative number operations, roots, powers, and evaluation of expressions and operator order.
I assist students with comprehension, spelling, vocabulary, sentence structure, vowels, consonants and pronunciation. I am fluently bilingual in English and Spanish and also enjoy teaching students who are learning English as a second language. I will assess the student's strengths and weaknesses and determine the best method to instruct the student.
I like to teach students to use the correct pronunciation, grammar and sentence structure for the Spanish language. I have written essays and presentations, read novels and won a poem recitation contest in Spanish. Prepare to learn conversational Spanish, numbers, time, date, verb conjugation, common questions and responses, verb tenses, sentence structure, pronunciation and more.
Prepárese para aprender Español conversacional, conjugación del verbo, las preguntas y las respuestas comunes, los verbos, la estructura de oración, pronunciación y más.
How many times have you seen billboards, signs and ads with incorrectly spelled words? According to the AP article "Test: Most students not proficient in writing", dated 9/14/2012, "only a quarter of eighth and 12th grade students in the United States have solid writing skills, even when allowed to use spell-check". I will teach you to spell English and Spanish words correctly. Spelling, punctuation and pronunciation skills are essential for all business professionals.
I like to tell the story of a student that was 20 minutes late to a 40 minute calculus test, received a 60% then went on to get an A in the class. That student was me. I will teach you how to:
* Plan and manage your time
* Develop healthy study habits
* Learn efficient ways to prepare for and take exams.
* Learn how to read and comprehend material more effectively
Mary R. passed a background check on 3/2/15. The check was ordered by Mary through First Advantage. For more information, please review the background check information page.
After sending a message to Mary, you will be able to order a new background check for $7.99. As part of your tutor selection process, we encourage you to run updated background checks. Please also review the safety tips for hiring tutors.