Student Payment Policies
It's easy to hire a tutor
Our goal is to make your WyzAnt experience easy and fair. We want to simplify the process of hiring a tutor, not make it more difficult. By adhering to these six principles, we think WyzAnt will be a pleasure for you to work with.
- No commitments, no fees, nothing tricky
- Lots of payment options
- Great discounts with refundable credit
- Simple, transparent transactions
- Good fit guarantee
- Unlimited phone and email support
No commitments, no fees, nothing tricky
Whether you need a tutor for the whole school year or just a one-time refresher, you’re free to use WyzAnt as much or as little as you wish. You pay only for the tutoring services you receive. (Also, if you decide to order a background check
on any tutor, that costs $7.99.)
Lots of payment options
WyzAnt accepts all major credit and debit cards including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. We also accept PayPal, personal check and money order. With any of the payment options, WyzAnt has two very important policies.
- You agree to maintain valid payment information To ensure that tutors you hire through WyzAnt ("WyzAnt tutor") receive their payment after lessons are completed, WyzAnt requires that you establish a valid form of payment information in your WyzAnt account. This could be an active credit/debit card or PayPal account, or a positive amount of tutoring credit which, in addition to the above payment methods, could be purchased by mailing a check or money order to WyzAnt’s Chicago office. Valid payment information must be in place prior to exchanging phone numbers or scheduling lessons with tutors. Except for discount package purchases, no charges are made to your account until a lesson has occurred. Please note that you must maintain valid payment information in your WyzAnt account for the duration of the tutoring.
- All payments are processed by WyzAnt By using the WyzAnt website, you are agreeing to make all of your payments to WyzAnt tutors through the WyzAnt system. This is true for all payments related to tutoring lessons including any agreed upon travel or other compensation adjustments. Such additional payments should be negotiated between you and the tutor and incorporated into the tutor’s hourly rate.
Great discounts with refundable credit
You may purchase a discount package through any of the available payment methods. In order for a lesson to be applied to the discount package, the package must be purchased before the lesson is submitted by the tutor. Two or more discount packages cannot be combined unless they are both purchased before the first lesson is submitted by the tutor.
Once the entire amount of credit from the discount package is exhausted, and you wish to continue to receive lessons at a discounted rate, you must purchase an additional discount package. Otherwise, by default, future lessons will be billed on the non-discounted pay-as-you-go basis.
The monetary value of the unused portion of a discount package is refundable at any time. The current discount packages can be viewed here. If the amount of credit used from the discount package qualifies you for a lower discount level, the refund amount will be adjusted to award you the appropriate discount. For instance, consider these two scenarios:
a) A student pays $360 and receives $400 of WyzAnt tutoring credit at a 10% discount. The student ends up needing just two hours of tutoring with a $50/hour tutor ($100 total), so the student requests a refund. In this case, the student has not used enough credit to qualify for a discounted rate. The refund amount is $260, which equals the $360 initial payment minus the $100 of tutoring used by the student.
b) Let's say the same student instead uses four hours of tutoring, or $200 total, before requesting a refund. Since $200 worth of tutoring entitles the student to a 5% discount, the student's total cost of lessons is equal to $190 ($200 in credit used less a 5% discount). As a result, the student is entitled to a refund of $170 ($360 initial monetary payment, less the $190 cost of lessons).
Simple, transparent transactions
- You receive a confirmation email from WyzAnt each time a tutor enters a lesson with you. The email shows the lesson start time, end time, subject and total charge. You also have the option of requiring the tutor to include a lesson report with details about each lesson. Any questions with the hours reported should be discussed with the tutor who can then amend the lesson details. WyzAnt customer support is also available to help resolve discrepancies.
- After the tutor reports the lesson hours, WyzAnt charges your WyzAnt account according to the tutor’s hourly rate. If the amount of the lesson charge results in a negative balance in your WyzAnt account, WyzAnt will charge your preferred payment method and send you an email detailing the transaction. If you’ve purchased a discount package, WyzAnt will draw down on your available tutoring credit balance.
- Unless the tutor first gets your permission to change the hourly rate, you are grandfathered in for three months at the rate that appeared on the tutor’s profile when you initially made contact. (Some tutors may want to adjust their hourly rates for things like travel or group lessons, but you’ll always be asked to confirm all changes.)
- Tutors have up to seven days to enter lessons after they occur. Lessons entered beyond this one week window require student confirmation before being processed.
- After adding a credit or debit card, you may see a $1.11 authentication and immediate reversal on your online statement. This authentication verifies your account but does not charge your credit or debit card.
- If in processing the lesson charge the transaction fails, WyzAnt will notify you and provide a period of time for you to amend or replace the invalid payment information.
- Remember, when you hire a tutor, you are entering into a business relationship directly with that tutor. Therefore, please consult with your tutor about his or her cancellation policy prior to beginning lessons. Tutors’ cancellation policies are also listed on their profiles.
- If you are considering using a WyzAnt tutor for online or telephone tutoring, proofreading, or other work, it’s important that you have a thorough conversation and reach an agreement with your tutor about the expectations of the cost and work product prior to beginning lessons.
Good fit guarantee
WyzAnt stands behind our marketplace. If you’re not completely satisfied after the first hour of lessons with the tutor you hire, you are entitled to a refund for that hour. (If you request a refund after receiving more than one hour of tutoring, only the first hour will be refunded.)
Unlimited phone and email support
WyzAnt has a staff of dedicated customer support representatives available to assist you and answer any questions that arise. We want to hear from you, so please don’t hesitate to contact our customer support team for any reason. Just call us at (877) WYZANT-1 (999-2681) or email us at email@example.com